How Many Peeps Have Tremolo AND Vibrato?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Last Nerve, Jul 1, 2006.

1. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I have a Kaden Fluttertone tremolo pedal, and have major GAS for a Mojo Vibe.....

is it redundant to have both tremolo and vibrato on your board?

How many of you have both and which ones are you using?

2. braughwd

braughwd Member

Are you looking for a tremolo and vibrato pedal or a trem and vibe pedal? If tremolo and vibrato check out the Carl Martin Trem O' Vibe, there are several pedals that do both. Check out the voodoo vibe for all three.

3. erksin

erksin Member

I use the tremolo from my amps, vibrato tones from my DLS Chorus~Vib. Not redundant at all - totally different tones...

4. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

I changed the text in my original post..I was just abbreviating the two tones, yet I can see how that can get confusing.

You can pretty much get a vibrato out of any chorus, correct?

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

how about trying somehting different.

Tremolo = crimson and clover
    Univibe or "vibe"= anything by trower
    Vibrato=magnatone amps

6. 6789

6789 Member

I use a Juke 1210 amp that has both tremolo and vibrato built in the amp - no pedals needed. I always have both turned on.

7. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

I have both - not redundant at all.

8. braughwd

braughwd Member

That's what I said.

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have both in my chain. The Mojo Vibe does have vibrato as well as the chorus. "Chorus" is what has always been used to describe the univibe tone we are all familiar with on vibe units, but it definitely not a traditional chorus, it is the "vibe". The vibrato does function as a pitch modulator, but I never use that side of the switch.
    I have my Keeley TR2 for regular tremolo sounds. I use it often and really like the big, fat trem I get out of it. It is very adjustable and I actually use it over my amp's tremolo, even when I am using my BFSR.
    I have tried to eliminate the TR2, but univibe is just not the same as clean, fat tremolo. The vibe significantly colors the tone and I don't want that along with my trem most of the time.

10. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

The best way to think of vibrato is the actual process of Vibrato... moving your finger back and forth rapidly while still planted on the string, creating a rapid, mild pitch shift. All classically trained string muscians are taught vibrato techniques to make their tones more "musical". When a violinist is playing and he/she looks like they are waving at themselves, thats vibrato. Therefore, vibrato is a more or less, a natural process that in the guitar world is mimicable by a pedal. (it doesn't sound quite the same, but the general idea is there).

Tremolo is based on the process developed by classical muscians to go from very quiet to very loud, or the opposite. In the guitar world, it seems to be linked in its use predominently with electrification of the instrument, and the control of the volume. One is essentially performing tremolo if he plays louder and louder... but that isn't what the pedal is about. The pedal (or effect unit) is designed to create multiple swells in volume. Basically, it can be recreated by twisting the volume knob on your guitar back and forth (alot!!). So the tremolo we're talking about is shaped in a wave type pattern, vs. the original single direction tremolo of past music composition.

As for vibe, it's a beast unto itself. The tones you hear from a vibe are neither tremolo or vibrato. They are unatural tones. They may sound natural, but they are not creatable by human hands playing an instrument. They are only made possible via the development of electronics, and therefore are not natural. This makes them completly different than vibrato and tremolo. I don't fully understand vibe, as it is not a process describable via the playing of an instrument.

Now for your question.....

It's not redundant because tremolo and vibrato are two completly different modulations. However, the mojo vibe does not do vibrato. It does vibe with some vibrato-like modulation. Not actual pitch shift. If you are interested in pitch shift, there are many fine vibrato pedals out there. Im a big fan of the retro-sonic chorus ensemble, which does both chorus and vibrato. The austone vibro-stomp is also a nice vibrato pedal (with tremolo as well!).

11. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Chorus (modern, not 'vibe' chorus) is in fact pitch-shifting vibrato, created by varying very short delay times, mixed with the original signal. You can get vibrato out of some chorus pedals, eg the Boss CH-1 or CE-5 - if you put a dummy plug into the second output and turn the effect level control up full. The way the pseudo-'stereo' works on these is to separate the dry signal from the pitch-shifted signal, which when fed to two different amps makes your ear 'hear' stereo chorus - but by putting a dummy plug in the second output and not running it to an amp, all you then hear is the pitch shift.

12. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Not redundant at all, if we're talking true-pitch shift vibrato vs. tremelo. The standard for me in vibrato is the Magnatone effect. Hear it once, remember it forever. In trem, there are several flavors. My favorite by far is the bias vary trem found in some brownface fenders. Quite different from the trem found in BF/SF amps. The former is deep, swampy, trippy. Other trem circuits don't even come close IMHO. The Austone Vibrostomp has the true pitch shift vibrato on one side (the reason to buy this pedal), and a much less effective/desireable tremelo effect on the other.

P.S. The Juke is unique not only in that it has both vibrato and tremelo built in, but that you can use both together. Having heard a Juke run that way, I can see why Ted never turns them off. What a cool sound!

13. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you think of the Kaden? Hows it preform?

14. g-nem

g-nem Member

I'm digging on my BYOC chorus pedals vibrato side right now. Haven't got the BYOC trem to work yet. . . but I'll get there. FWIW i defintely need trem, and vibrato is very cool, but optional.

15. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Supporting Member

I use a KR mega vibe on the board and the trem that's built in to my Snider Cali.... Megavibe is a GREAT Univibe type device.....

16. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

How excellent .. they run at the same speed? I'm guessing it's a sine wave pattern, and the pitch drops as the volume drops?

Sounds like a great idea for a pedal actually. Three knobs - speed, pitch width and volume drop. Call it the Trebrato, or Vimolo, or something.

17. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

John, you are a TGP National Treasure, I really mean it. I can't wait to try this at home! :)

18. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have the Guyatone Tube Flip trem with stereo panning. Also, Small Bear Electronics will be getting OEM 4 pdt switches ( replacements for the maxon ad-999) which is need to make the flip trem into true bypass....so good news

19. drolling

drolling Member

The only true vibrato effect I've heard that doesn't make me seasick (for a particularly wretched example of what I mean, check out the deep/shallow "detune" preset on the DigiTech Whammy) is the one built in to those old Magnatone amps - I hear Scotty's working on a pedal version called "Maggie"... could be the one..

20. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

I have an Area 51 bias-modulated tremolo in my Blues Pearl Texas Tornado (essentially a BFDR clone) and an Airtight Garage (Hoffman) ReVibe reverb/vibrato box in put in front of the amp. If I understand the Magantone/Univibe distinction I'd say the ReVibe is more Univibe than Magnatone in effect. I can and do run the vibrato and tremolo at the same time. With separate speed and depth controls, there's a lot to work with in this system -- including two three-knob reverbs. Both of them have 3-spring tanks for now. I think I'll change out one of them for a 2-springer with a longer decay time so the units can't mimic each other when used together.