1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How many people bought a guitar after hearing Hendrix for the 1st time?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Magic-Sam, May 18, 2011.

1. Magic-Sam

Magic-Sam Member

I got to thinking about my influences and I remember back when I was 13 or 14 hearing Voodoo Chile - Slight Return and wanting to play guitar. Now that I'm older I realize that Hendrix had lots of influences and I now listen to Chicago Blues artists as well. But it seems that Hendrix was such a giant figure for popularizing electric guitar.

2. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Member

I bought a wah pedal after hearing Voodoo Child (Slight Return) for the first time. Does that count?

3. Kooshball

Kooshball Member

close..

i got a guitar when I was 13 or 14.
    on my 15th birthday i bought master of puppets and are you experienced.

what a combination

4. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

I've often considered burning my guitar and taking up golf after listening to him does this count?:messedup

5. Alister

Alister Member

Not after hearing him, but after watching him.
    My buddies and I were among the first to buy Are You Experienced (which you had to special order from the homogenous shopping mall record stores, where we lived), and so I was pretty affected by that.

BUT: it was seeing Hendrix, in the Woodstock film, that really changed my attitude about the guitar as an instrument. Hendrix was the first electric guitarist, to the younger me, who was interesting to watch. And I don't mean the stage antics or the costumes or the guitar burning. I mean the fluency of his fingers and playing, and the way the guitar seemed part of him.
    I may not have even taken up the electric guitar, in spite of rock's revolution in culture, if it hadn't been for that.

6. lhallam

lhallam Member

Clapton. Oh well.

7. alguit

alguit Member

I was 15, 1979, and I was up late one night and caught the end of "Foxy Lady" on the radio; it must have been front announced, because the name of the artist who had just spellbound me was never said. I listened for it again and again (too stupid, I guess, to call the station and ask) for weeks, and when I heard it and who it was, I was hooked! I had been toying with my brother's acoustic before that for a few months, spending most of my time as as classical violinist, but learning about Jimi Hendrix changed all that. Not long after, I sold the violin in order to buy my first strat-style guitar.

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I had definitely heard Hendrix before I bought a guitar.