How many people do not step on the footswitch?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trucks, Mar 25, 2008.

Do you step on your pedals?

1. Always

2. Yes, but no shoes!

3. At least one pedal was never stepped on.

4. Never

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. trucks

trucks Member

More than a few times, I have read sale ads for used pedals where the owners state the pedal was never stepped on. They turn their pedals on by hand and sometimes never put them on the floor at all. The latest one I saw said that shoes were never used (err, I think I prefer shoes to sweaty socks or feet).

This got me thinking and I realize that my new pedals are always tested sitting on top of the amp with me turning them on by hand. This is more to play with the settings than to keep the pedal pristine; as a result, there are pedals that I have not bonded with that have never been stepped on. The keepers certainly get stepped on. What about you?

2. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

Yea, for new pedals I suppose it's understandable to keep them on top of the amp. Although, when I'm buying a used pedal, I really don't care whether or not it's been stepped on as long as it's in good condition; and +1 on the dirty, sweaty socks comment...gross! Once it's on my board though, no more babying. Does stepping on the pedal with shoes really do that much noticeable damage? :NUTS

3. Slideman

Slideman Member

I guess I never really had to think about it. I find it odd if people deliberately go out of their way NOT to step on them...they're called "stomp" boxes for a reason. Get to steppin'

That's like saying "I have a guitar, but my hands never touched the neck". :NUTS

4. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Only when their new. I usually know at the downbeat whether or not I'm gonna keep a pedal.
    STOMP IT!

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Some people keep their pedals in racks or use looping systems so that might explain it. I have put pedals on my amp to engage them when they were brand new and I thought I might sell it quickly but otherwise on the floor they go.

6. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member

never... too lazy.. :messedup

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Also people that use loopers, you leave the pedal on (powered by powe supply, so off when not in use) and you just turn on the loopers' switches.

But I don't do that to "save" the switches, I do that for other reasons and it just happens to save them.

I think honestly, not using your foot on footswitches is about the most asinine, moronic thing I have heard yet. Boss, Ibanez, and a few others have their own solution for switching which are very solid, other than that the standard footswitch...we're talking a few dollars here folks, you going to tiptoe and bend over and use your hands to turn it ever so carefully on, so you can tell some other anal retentive guy that you never "stomped" on the pedal, and get HOW much more for the pedal for all this idiocy? Switches are not a major part of the tone of a pedal (unless REALLY badly done) and most boutique go for the same types, and they take probably 10-20 minutes to replace if they have a lot of connections...that includes setup, warm-up soldering iron, etc. Bam, good as new.

I mean, if it is a Boss, or mass produced, you aren't going to win anything, if it is a classic, fantastic, going-for-the-big-bucks on Ebay...even then....
    seriously doubt, unless you are saving pedals for 50 years, and only with the intention of selling for profit should you treat them as if they were first edition Superman Comix...

Live a little, use things are they were intended to be used.

8. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

i test them on top of the amp, or on the desk just so i can mess with the settings.... but whats the point of having a pedal if you are not going to play it live? if you're just gonna record at home using your hands to press the footswitch down (notice the word 'foot'switch) than just go out and buy the effect from GC use it and return it.

i'm convinced if you advertise the pedal (with pics) as minty/new you will sell for a good price.
    if you throw in 'has only been operated by hand/sweaty gym feet' than I would pay less for it b/c i'm anticipating you being anal or OCD and trading/buying is going to be a pain in my neck....

9. dave s

dave s Member

This must be where many TGP members get the impression that gear purchased through TGP emporiums, (regardless of honest disclosure by seller) must be pristine, unused, NIB, 11/10, brand-new or beyond mint condition.

I'm surprised some haven't begun putting pedals inside SOCKS to ensure it isn't 'air-contaminated' in any way as well.

My pedals are board-installed, drug to gigs and stepped on. Sometimes I 'swing and miss' meaning the sides and tops of OTHER pedals get the 'boot' sometimes as well. Pretty sure this is why MOST pedals are housed in metal boxes!

dave

10. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

I've never not stepped on a pedal.

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I buy them but am too stupid to hook them up.

12. AL30

AL30 Member

Sheesh !! You bought it to play it - STEP ON IT !!! That's what it's made for... or put it in a hermetically sealed, see-through box and show all your friends how cool it looks. Don't touch it... can't be played. Spinal Tap anyone? :NUTS

AL

13. JMarck

JMarck Member

I step on them. Whenever I plan on using pedals I wear slippers of some sort just because I'm finnicky with dirt and stuff.

14. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

stomp box... name says it all...

15. grado

grado Member

I've got my pedal board sitting on top of my bass amp, I NEVER play outside the house so not one of my pedals has been stomped on. Except for the used ones I guess.

16. 6789

6789 Member

if a pedal is wrapped in saran wrap when you use it, is that enough of a barrier to say it hasn't been stepped on?

17. JB

JB Member

All my gear are tools.. not furniture. I use em to play and don't care if it gets nicked. As for not stepping on a foot switch? That's a new one to me!

18. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I've been seeing a lot of these types of selling tactics lately....'never been stepped on', 'pre-owned', etc. Pedals are becoming like cars. But I guess when we're all paying this much for them....

I say that now........but in a couple seconds I'm going to head to the emporium and look desperately for something to spend $400 on.... :BEER

19. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

This is hands down the Gearpagiest Thread EVER!

20. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I don't know if I could even begin to formulate a response to this one.

I guess it's true, though; you know in 59 seconds if the pedal is right for you.