• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How many people have suggested a pedal without ever playing one..?

Be honest..

Whether it's because you heard a good demo or heard someone else say something nice about it, you know you've done it! What was the pedal and why did you say it?

Get it off your chest.

I recommend pedals I haven't played all the time. If someone ask a question like I'm looking for a delay with reverb. I list all the delay pedals with reverb i know. If they ask a follow up like, "which one is best". I leave that to someone who has played them

Turi

Might keep my eye on this this thread so I know who to not listen to.. If anyone admits it.

I mean we got dudes claiming pedals are "keepers" without ever having played them - I'm sure there's been recs for stuff people have never played too.

gearscrubs

I see a lot of this around here, but hopefully it is usually a qualified reply, such as, "haven't played it, but the demos of 'xxx' sound good." Also, sometimes someone is looking for pedals with a very specific feature set (e.g. delays that have ms input) and answering does not always imply endorsement of that pedal.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
If I make a comment concerning a pedal I have not personally used, I typically add a comment like "it gets great reviews" or "sounds like what you want in the demos"

I often make recommendations about pedals I have heard live but not used, like the Diamond Tremolo or King of Tone.
But most of the time I recommend pedals that have used and understand.
I try very hard to not recommend pedals I own without a clear description of what works in my situation and how that might apply to the asker's question.

jsytsma

I don't think there's an issue with it. I wouldn't go all gaga and say "IT'S THE BEST, YOU NEED TO HAVE IT" but if someone is looking for a a low-gain overdrive I'll list off a bunch of low gain overdrives, including some I haven't tried that seem to be well liked.

JRC4558Dude

I usually just say "No experience with one, but you may want to check out a...."

No harm in saying that.

minty901

No harm.

The worst is when someone recommends a pedal when it's the ONLY one of that type that they've tried.

"I have nothing to compare it to at all but TRUST me xyz is the pedal you need"

Once. I recommended a pedal I was planning on getting, but had only heard demos of. It fit the OP's description (which is why I was getting it).
I'd recommend it again. In my defense, i was clear I had never played through it, and that the demo seemed to fit the description.

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I've done it from time to time. If someone is looking for a pedal to accomplish something specific and either through my own research, or having read other opinions of people who have had success using a certain pedal for the same purpose, I might recommend it.

However, I'm usually crystal clear when I do so. "Others have had success with ...," "you might want to look at ..." Or some other variation to be clear I haven't used it myself.

I don't think you have to have had personal experience with something to recommend that someone consider it. Recommending consideration of an item versus recommending purchase are subtly different to me.

GreenKnight18

It's hardly a big deal. In this day and age with youtube demos of just about every halfway decent pedal, a perspective pedal-buyer would have to be living under a rock not to hear a demo if they had any curiosity.

I mean-- there is this strange force that compels people to ask a bunch of strangers with questionable talent their opinions on gear too. :D

Cgkindler

I have not actually said go get it, without that caveat of saying I haven't played personally or even seen it....

The problem is though, that I only recommend the pedals I play for everything (which is kind of what folks are looking for I suppose! lol)

Ivo

In general, I always try to preface both when I'm asking for recommendations (specifically for experienced users) and if I've never tried the thing, but think it will meet a criteria.

Might keep my eye on this this thread so I know who to not listen to.. If anyone admits it.

I mean we got dudes claiming pedals are "keepers" without ever having played them - I'm sure there's been recs for stuff people have never played too.
To be fair, Lithsp my man, when I was searching this forum for more Timebender info (which I'm hoping will finally arrive in a couple of days!) - I noticed you did this very thing about a year ago. Along with the "it's a keeper two days in" thing. :p

Crime #1: Recommending teh Timegetbenter to another before your own had arrived:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/dd-20-or-nova-delay.1470754/#post-18447559

Crime #2: "Can't see the TB leaving your board" two days in:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/why-didnt-the-timebender-sell-well.1473029/

Anyway, just giving you a good natured ribbing. :D I'm sure there are some dark, secret contractions hidden away in everyone's post history.

TimeSnow

I recommend pedals I haven't played all the time. If someone ask a question like I'm looking for a delay with reverb. I list all the delay pedals with reverb i know. If they ask a follow up like, "which one is best". I leave that to someone who has played them
+1

But I do always mention if I haven't played it.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Suggesting a few options to be aware of is different than making a specific recommendation.

If someone were to ask me if there was a nail salon in the area I'd tell them the whereabouts of any that I knew of even though I don't frequent them.

I have sometimes pointed people in the general direction of certain pedals that I haven't tried but I don't push any of them.

For example, if someone is looking for a spring reverb pedal, in the spirit of being helpful, I might mention a handful of spring reverb pedals that I know exist so that they might consider adding those to their search list.

However, I will only comment more specifically or make an actual recommendation when talking about a pedal that I have personally played through, usually because I have owned it or occasionally because it was included in a tourbox that I had for a week or so.

I ultimately don't care what someone else does buy or doesn't buy.

-bEn r.

Last edited:

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Gold Supporting Member
Like most the others I have always stated "I haven't played it myself, but you may want to look into..." I don't see a problem with that.

Dunzie

I haven't and wouldn't... but then I'm on a personal mission to try every highly recommended pedal on the planet it seems. So I DO think that counts for something when I make a recommendation. But even with that, pedals sound different through different rigs, with different guitar input, and with differing personal tastes. I'll usually say that I've tried XX and YY and the XX sounded better THROUGH MY RIG. You may find differently, especially when so many pedals are very similar or at least comparable these days.

What bothers me more I'd say are people who give strong recommendations, often very frequently, with strong manufacturer bias, without having much of a comparison base, telling the OP that XX is the greatest low-gain drive or MIAB ever. Then later admit they've only ever tried that one plus some cheap knockoff thing.

SirGilmour

Silver Supporting Member
The best pedals to recommend are the ones you havent played. That way when they say "Hey this pedal sucks and doesnt do anything you said it does" you can respond "I never said I played it bro." Plausible deny-ability.

Sean413

I've recommend.The sick as to someone who was looking for a klonish style pedal without ever playing it... Meh it's on my to buy list haha

Trending Topics