How many people have their GAS under control?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Austin_Taunt, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

I haven't bought an amp in over 10 years. I am thinking of shopping around for one this spring though. I should probably unload some of the ones I have that don't see much action.

I have bought some pedals over that period of time but it was more out of necessity than GAS as they were basic modulation effects.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  2. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

My GAS is on simmer, cooled down a bit, but still hot on the burner.

PRSAtomic likes this.
  3. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I'm getting older and feeble; fixing to move to smaller house. I just sold two great, but heavy amps, and I'm down to my Allen Sweet Spot. Planning to sell two of my 4 electric guitars. Having trouble how to dispose of a dozen pedals, lots of cables, microphones, etc.

I guess you could say that I'm "draining the gas tank". I still like this forum, though.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

It will never be under control, but the bank balance keeps it in check.

I live through guys like @DiPa ;).

Al Rose likes this.
  5. jhideout

jhideout Member

-Amp gas is gone - It took a Friedman Runt 50, Fender 65drri, and helix floor as the cure.

-Pedalboard GAS is cured- finally completed an All Boss board with strymon zuma...have some higher end pedals, but boss works great...especially if you gig a lot.

I have yet to be cured of not wanting more guitars though..

I’ve had a lot of fun buying/trying new gear, trading, pawnshop scores over the years..

Best way to get it under control is experiencing as many different varieties of guitars,amps, pedals until you really bond with something and figure out what works best for you.

6. Machew

Machew Member

Buying one more guitar this year and I will be done for the year. I promise ;)

7. PorkChop

PorkChop Member

I had GAS pretty bad, which is probably actually average. I went through all kinds of stuff. Only amps and guitars. I was guitar, cable amp for 25 years. I sold off all my vintage stuff during my divorce. I came out of that being able to go one in one out for a year or so. Now I got a Wang Pulsar Reverb. It’s a PR based design. Baxandall tone stack so I can get blackface scoop, flat or mid hump tones. Has power scaling and a switchable feedback loop. I did go through a massive pedal binge though which I had never done. But I would just keep turning knobs and not get down to it. Now I have a handful I can bust out as I am starting to record more material. But the pedals I kept are all responsive to picking dynamics and volume knob adjustments or have an envelope. Amp like. I found getting to the “end” is not having everything you could possibly need but more not having anything you don’t absolutely need.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  8. kennyg2626

kennyg2626 Supporting Member

Over the past year I have bought and sold more than the last 20 years of playing guitar combined. However, in the last 3 months or so I’ve found two guitars and two amps that have cured GAS entirely. I’m sure at some point I’ll want another guitar (probably a tele of some sort), but I finally feel like I found my sound which made me want to play more and acquire less.
    Here’s a taste of what I’ve bought/sold/traded over that time. Luckily I have an understanding wife.

Dr Z Z28 head
    Dr Z M12 combo
    Tone King Falcon Grande
    Morgan MVP 23
    Bad Cat Cub III
    Fender 63 Vibroverb RI (own)
    Benson Monarch (own)

16 Gibson Les Paul Trad
    Gibson 335 Luther Dickinson (own)
    K-Line 72 Truxton
    Gibson Memphis 339 Satin (own)
    PRS Starla Core
    Berly Telecaster

Ox Amp Top Box
    Suhr Reactive Load IR (own)
    Dr Z Airbrake

Too many pedals to list

gaelicsolus likes this.
  9. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Great to hear your GAS has dissipated!

I can totally relate. For me it’s my Friedmans.

Yes two! Allow me to explain...

First I got a BE50 Deluxe head. I thought I had great amps before. I won’t name names here but my old favorite had initials MB.

This was something else entirely. I just could not stop playing. It’s been going on two years and I still can’t get over it. Dave’s just an amp genius. What else can be said?

So why a second? I wasn’t GASing for it. Firstly I have many guitar buddies. They stop by and we play the BE, oooooo and ahhhhhhh. (They are also blown away). I’d actually left electric guitar 10 years ago cause I’d moved and left the band behind and I was tired of the endless tweaking and GASing and just went acoustic. Sold all my electric stuff.

So I wanted a second amp so we could jam on these visits. That was rolling around in my head. But I put it off. I do well now with money but they are not cheap amps.

I travel a lot. My wife is from Asia so we do those trips to see family there regularly. And I travel for work a lot.

So another thought started rolling around...A small combo could be a very meaningful addition. I’d have two rigs for easy jamming rather than just one guy playing at a time (and not wanting to stop and let the other play) :dude and I could have an amp I could actually travel with...and if I get the drive to start teaching guitar for some extra money...I lose my job or something... I can totally make it easy for students...it just made good sense. So a few months back I had the cash and I got a Mini Dirty Shirley 20w combo, weighs all of 30lbs.

I got the Shirley cause I figure why not get a bit different voice amp as a compliment and since I do some recording again, and I’m so glad I did. I can’t tell which I like best (the one I’m playing at the moment!).

No GAS. No worries. I’m set for life!!

10. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

I don't understand what you mean by "GAS under control"

11. kruts

kruts Member

After Black Friday and Cyber Monday, my GAS is full on!

12. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Honest answer, I've come to admit mine is a problem. I have everything I need and then some. I'd be lying if I pretended there wasn't some addiction elements to it. Trick is keeping it at bay and even I'll admit I've let it cross the line a few times recently. 2020 I'm gonna do my best to at LEAST come out with an album or something before my next gear purchase. Need to start making it pay for itself.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  13. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

14. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

For guitars, yes. I idly think about a Telecaster Deluxe or building a Michael Karoli Strat (oly white, rosewood, big headstock) but I don't need them, really. Pedals, I've accepted that I don't need one of every flavor of fuzz, it's hard to imagine replacing anything. Amps, I'm actually clearing out of, waiting for an Iridium or the FM3 or maybe a Tone Master Deluxe.

15. Zado

Zado Member

Cant say I have it under control, cause Im' really gassing for a lot of stuff everyday, but I dont let it dominate me as it's been at least 3 years since I've acquired a piece of gear (a pickup), and even more if you consider a whole guitar or an amp. I realized I dont really need anything more than I already have at the moment, except concentration and dedication.
    As I often say, one safe way to kill gas (for someone at least) is to find a band: when your into one you spend much more time learning your stuff and much less thinking about those haunting mids.

haslar likes this.
  16. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I've probably gigged more through backline amps than my own in the last year. HRDs, Marshalls, Peavey Bandits, etc. It's been quite eyeopening in that I sound like me through all of it - turn a few knobs, there's a clear clean sound I can work with. That experience probably did more to kill my amp gas than anything.

Austin_Taunt and David MacNeill like this.
  17. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Well said and 100% true. I have everything I need now to make everything I write sound as good as it possibly can. But I could have bought at least one really nice house with the money I burned through getting here.

18. nowhere

nowhere Member

I didn't think it was... until I came here. This place is to GAS the way craziness is to Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas - my house would have to look like Entwhstle's in The Kids Are Alright before my GAS looked out of control compared to some of you magnificent lunatics here.

19. GenericUserName

GenericUserName Member

Haven't bought anything in ten years so suck it gassers! Lol :)

Jaguar likes this.
  20. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

Had GAS for overdrive/distortion/ fuzz but been very careful in buying, only buy when I realy, really love the pedal and it fits in 'the family'. Also it cannot be above €150, as a rule for me, so that keeps it in check also. DOD Looking Glass, ZVEX distortron, TC Electronic Spark (regular size)... did it for me (2 of each.. want another Distortron then 2 of them also). Leftover wishes... (RAT, Bender, OCD, etc, etc) has been killed with the Source Audio Soundblox2 OFD (it's all in there.. 12 shades of excellent dirt) and for the more 'out there' dirt the Source Audio Soundblox2 Multiwave Distortion (23 types of more experimental dirt). So, yeah... I survived Black Friday without a scratch! ;- )

I'm also a believer that when you find 'your sound' it's time to stop buying more and more. I also think it is important to find pedals that work well together and fit in the same sound-palette. You can have a lot of different pedals but I hate when one sounds more dark or muffled and others more open etc. Also don't like when the sound is moving from in front of the amp to in the back of the amp, so when you switch between pedals it is like your sound is sort of jumping from in front to in the back of the amp. I don't read much on TGP about this phenomenon, I suspect this 'jumping' in the sound is a big reason for juggling different pedals and never have it really fit together. You can have the greatest pedals but when they are jumping sort of back and forth in the soundscape it doesn't feel right to me. Maybe some people like that, but I don't. I personally prefer 'open sounding' pedals that are flexible and react to guitarvolume and fit like some sort of train gradually from clean to overdrive, to distortion, to fuzz and sit in the same space (in the amp) and have a dirt-grain structure/signature that matches. That last one is important as well to wiggle it down.

Above considerations have kept the GAS in check for me. Maybe it works for others as well. I'm not an expert but it worked for me to be very picky about the pedals (according to personal taste).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 5:00 AM