How many pets are too many?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dewey decibel, Jan 23, 2015.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I know some of you guys have a bunch of pets. I just moved in with my girlfriend, she has a cat and a chihuahua (kinda between a dog and a cat). She used to have another cat which passed away, and says that the remaining cat is lonely, which I could see as the dog gets the majority of the attention. The cat makes attempts to play with the dog and the dog just lashes out at her.

So she wants to get a kitten as a playmate for the cat. Does that make sense? I worry as there's no guarantee that they'll get along, but she says she'll "re-home" the kitten if it doesn't work out. We have a house but it's on the small side; two bedrooms upstairs and one bath. I think the issue is I think of pets as a long term commitment, and 3 pet + kids seems like too much (thinking about the future).

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

The three cats we have now...it was a dog and three cats, but the dog passed away. She kept them in line. Now I have three wildcats roaming around all night and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

3. mge80

mge80 Member

There's not a pat, one-size-fits-all answer to that question.

For some people, one pet is too many. For others, there might not be any number that is "too many" (some ridiculous number like "150" notwithstanding).

4. MLG Audio

MLG Audio Member

Lol I have a three legged pekingese, two black tail prairie dogs, an african cichlid (fish), a red eared slider turtle and a north american snapping turtle. All of this in one small-ish in law apartment. I think the limit starts to draw near when the addition of another animal would be detrimental to the well being of another. Our dog is the only animal running free in the house. Everything else is caged/tanked and taken out when needed. We really want another dog, but we acknowledge that adding another would not be best for the new dog, or for the animals we already have. Just keep the well being of the animals as your top priority and you should be fine.

Good luck!!

5. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

One. One pet is too many. We have two kids, and those all the life forms I want to oversee, TYVM.

Obligatory:

[​IMG]

Tigford likes this.
  6. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

No, there's no guarantee. She'd be better off adopting an adult cat that's lived with other cats. Local humane societies almost always list each cat's history and previous living experience (other cats, dogs, children, etc.). It's easy to find a cat that will stand a better chance of getting along. And if I may be frank, "re-homing" a kitten is a ******** solution.

Tigford likes this.
  7. dewey decibel

Yes, I've seen that chart before. ;)

There's a place close to our house, a store that gets groups of kittens and other random cats in all the time, and they always know the history of them pretty well. They roam the store, so you can tell which ones get along with others OK or which are more social.

As far as re-homing- her point is the pets we have now are the priority, a new one would leave if it's not the right fit rather than an old one.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:agree Agreed to all, especially the last part. The other two cats we adopted are older adults (8 and 9, we think) and even our existing cat (back when we only had one dog and one cat) was a year old when we rescued her and very difficult to place. I found out why too, but since I've had feral cats before, I knew what to expect and what to do.

Right now (almost 3 years after we got her) she's sitting next to me and peacefully napping with one of the older cats napping nearby. FWIW: It took a year for all of them to peacefully co-exist...

9. jhc

jhc Senior Member

[number of humans in the house] + 1 is our rule.

A kitten sounds like a great idea.

10. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

11. Greentone

Greentone Member

As long as it keeps people from having too many damn kids, have as many pets as you want!!

Tigford likes this.
  12. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

I live with 5 humans in the house. I share my house with 2 Olde English Bulldogges. They feel like a bit much with 2 toddlers also in the house. The thought of 4 more pets in the house sounds criminally insane.

13. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for your valuable (and original!) contribution.

14. jhc

jhc Senior Member

it's just the max limit, not the recommended serving size ;)

15. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

Well, I do agree to a point, but on the other hand, you are after all proposing rehoming a cat as a better solution.

Looking at that going in as an easy way out if it doesn't "work out", yes, not a good way to start.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  16. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Is the cat a male or female? I've never had luck introducing a new cat into a home with a female cat. Very territorial. Male cats seem to be better at accepting a new playmate.

17. dewey decibel

Female. From what I understand it's easier to bring in a cat of a different sex, so we'd be looking for a male cat.

18. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

We've had up to 6 dogs and 2 cats at one time, they all died of old age and lived for an average of about 15 years. Right now we have just one cat, the kids are grown and gone,
    don't think we'll go back to having a menagerie again but another dog is inevitable.

19. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Sorry, but this chart is just wrong. Gotta put baby up above cat and about equal to dog on the "fun" meter.

We have a large dog, two cats, my son's rabbit, fish and a parrot. Would like one more dog. We have had as many as four at a time. That is a little too much. Two dogs is a good number. Would love a dragon though.

20. dewey decibel

I realize I wasn't very clear with what I was asking. If we have two cats and they get along and play with each other (like her previous cat did) is that a huge difference between having just one cat? When I was a kid I lived with my grandma and she had two cats, and they seemed to occupy each other's attention pretty well.