How many poaple actually enjoy changing your guitar strings?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fishlog, May 22, 2008.

1. fishlog

fishlog Member

I popped a string tonight just playing alone. Now my guitar is sitting there...waiting....

I hate changing strings... I hate it!

I find it odd but I have heard for some people its like a spiritual thing putting new strings on. Like bathing a baby or eating chocolate they savor every moment as they caress their guitar and clean it.

I hate it.

2. gadzooka

gadzooka Member

I don't mind it. I like cleaning the dust off...

3. _B_

_B_ Member

It depends on the situation for me. I play 3-5 hour shows, and I've figured out that with my alien-acid-like sweat, one set of strings lasts exactly one show before I start popping strings, so I try to change them before every show. If I'm lazy and put it off until 30 minutes before I have to play or something, it sucks. If I do it with no time pressure, it's kind of relaxing...as long as I don't mess it up!

4. dave s

dave s Member

I don't mind it at all now. Both my 6-stringers are relics. You don't even have to clean 'em! :roll

dave

5. acwild

acwild Member

I love changing my strings. It gives me a chance to clean and oil up the fretboard and clean other places that I couldn't get to. Having a string winder and locking tuners helps speed things up. I usually do about six guitars at a time so it takes a while, especially with the floating trems.:drink

6. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

because I play with so many tunings, and I do try to restring before gigs, restringing the night before a gig is usually a several hpur affair while I mutter to myself about needing a roadie.

that being said, I do enjoy the ritual. I plan for it, so I don't stress about it.

7. MartinC

MartinC Member

Hate it ... I'm a lazy b*gger ... I just want to play. All my electrics have locking tuners which makes it much easier.

I also prefer the tone of strings that aren't completely new on the guitar. About 2 weeks old (which is after about 20-30 hours of playing) is the sweet spot for me.

8. Peterma

Peterma Member

I love it. I'll do a few instruments at a time and clean out everyting. I put in 30 minutes per guitar easy. It's a form of meditation for me.

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I hate it.

I started playing elixrs just so i wouldn't have to do it as often.

10. rog951

rog951 Member

I used to enjoy changing strings, back when my "number of guitars owned" was in the single digits. Now it's just a friggin' chore.

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I got so in the habit of not cleaning my relic that I now don't clean the others, either.

Hmmmm........I don't change strings either. The relic hasn't had new strings since Jan or Feb. Maybe this weekend.......

12. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    It's one of those things... once I get up for it, I can change my acoustic 6 string in 12 minutes (barring any fret polishing or fretboard cleaning); then I really love having the new strings on!
    None of my others are quite as quick or easy - the 12 string is a bitch (bless her heart!), my 345 has a Kahler and that's a pain. The 175 isn't too tough, and I hardly ever change those strings - flatwound 14's!!! As far as my little T-5 goes, the Elixir strings it came with are still ringing true after 2 years, nearly...
    it's a necessary evil that results in sweet sounds!!!

13. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I like the ritual of it.

It's part of my gig preparation: select the guitars I'm going to use, change the strings, go over the songs while I'm stretching them out.

14. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

No biggie for me, as far as changing and cleaning my guitars and oiling fingerboards. I kinda of enjoy it but not as much as playing though.

15. Izy

Izy Member

i don;t like to change strings....

I'm lazy....

But changing strings to me is important because dead strings get on my nerves even more.

16. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

i dont have that many guitars and so i actually really like it. i like the ritual of it all, as well as the drastic improvement of my tone and feel!

17. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

I like changing them, I can do it in 10 minutes stretched and good to go but after I change them I wait 24hrs before playing the guitar and that wait is hard sometimes.

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I don't really like having to do it, but I despise changing strings on a newer Reverend MIK guitar. While those "locking" tuners do work well for tuning, they are a B*TCH and a half to change strings. Not fun.

19. blong

blong Member

It's a mind-numbing zen-like experience for me. I enjoy it. I don't oil fretboards unless they need, maybe once every year or two, but I do enjoy changing strings and setting guitars up.

Bob

20. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

I have changed a zillion sets of strings. Both my own and working in guitar shops for 20 plus years.....Get over it. Set up a little bench with what you need and do it. Great guitars need fresh strings. If it is too big a hassle for ya maybe take up keyboards........

I will admit to hating restringing Gibson Doublenecks. You can't get a damn string winder on about 10 tuners on those things. That is pretty painful......