• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How Many Sets Does Your Band Play at a Gig?

Ken

Gold Supporting Member
For your standard 4 hour gig, How many sets do you play?

It seems that for the longest time, the standard has been 4 sets and 3 breaks (15 minutes each break).

Bankston

We play about 3 hours. Depending on the venue, we either play 3 hour sets or 4 sets of 45 min.

We do 3 sets, 4 hours, 2 breaks of about 15 min. or so. Our sets are around 17-18 songs, kind of long sometimes so we end up cutting songs or having a shorter 3rd set.

crzyfngers

we do 3. it's hard to keep track of time unless things aren't going well. an hour for the first set and a longer second and third set. sometimes that second set will run 2 hours. i enjoy my work.:RoCkIn and we never use a set list. so we don't keep count of how many songs either.

Last edited:

StompBoxBlues

What am I missing here..."sets" aren't finite in time are they?

Isn't it more useful (I am totally ready to believe I misssed an important point here) to ask "how many sets, and how many songs in each set?"?

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Three to four, just depending on crowd reaction. I prefer three longer sets.

billm408

Typical show for us is 10:00- 1:30 (ish). We'll play 3 sets.

A 45 minute warm up the crowd set.
A 90+ minute keep 'em drinking set.
And a 30-40 minute sweep out the drunks set.

edgewound

Four 45 minute sets...
That's typical for a four hour bar gig. Depends on the gig and the overall program.

We recently did a corporate gig at Santa Anita Racetrack. We played 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off when the horses were on the track...sometimes longer...so we ate....and ate some more.

But..it was a loooong day. Arrived 9:30am to set up. Got to leave at 6pm when the park was empty.

Ken

Gold Supporting Member
Maybe its just me, but I'm an older guy, so for those late night Bar gigs, I really want the full three 15 minute breaks....

Going all night with only two short breaks for the amount of money the bar's pay seem like a lot of work for little return.

Back in the old days, four 45 min sets were pretty much the standard.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I'm kinda surprised at the responses. Perhaps your areas have greater call for single-band gigs. In my neck of the woods, these days, it's uncommon to find those anymore.

Casey

We kinda do different things depending on how long the gig is...

4 hour gig = 3 - 1 hour sets, and 2 - 30 min breaks
3 hour gig = 2 - 75 min sets, 1 30 min break
2 hour gig = 1 - 2 hour set

And thats how we roll up in North Cackalacky

RickNew

Typical show for us is 10:00- 1:30 (ish). We'll play 3 sets.

A 45 minute warm up the crowd set.
A 90+ minute keep 'em drinking set.
And a 30-40 minute sweep out the drunks set.
Never thought of doing a long middle set but that seems to make a lot of sense to me. thanks Bill

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
In my old band we usually started around 10:00-10:30 and finished at 1:30-1:45. We did two really long sets and took a 20-30 minute break in the middle.

My new group that hasn't played out yet has discussed this. I think we'll do 3 45 minute sets. We need about 10 more songs though--we only have 30. My old band had a few long songs with jams and a couple with audience participation. The stuff we're doing now doesn't really have that so I think we need more material. We're mostly doing 3 minute pop/rock songs.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Usually four. The fourth is usually a little shorter than the others. If the place is really hopping, sometimes we'll just play a long third set.

Trending Topics