How many springs in your Strat's trem

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cg, Jun 17, 2008.

How many springs in your trem?

1. Two

2. Three

3. Four

4. Five

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I recently went to 5 springs - still getting used to the stiff feel, but i like how the other strings stay at pitch when I bend notes.

You??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

I think there's another key point to this and that's whether or not it's floating. I float mine with three springs. Most don't seem to want to.

3. Free

Free Member

From the pic, it doesn't look like you have the bridge floating though - do you? If that's the case, 3 tight springs will keep strings from going out of pitch in the same way.

4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

This is so variable. Old springs, new springs, there are even different strengths available when new.

5. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

That's not my guitar - I believe the bottom one is SRV's #1.

6. Drew68

Drew68 Supporting Member

I used to have 3 and a floating trem but the tuning problems were so frustrating that I went to 5 springs and screwed my claw in a little bit.

Doing this completely changed the way my Strat plays. And I love it! I still occasionally use my whammy bar for subtle vibrato but the tighter bridge really lets me tear into my strings without tuning issues. I'm never going back to 3 springs.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    I do.

Also went to a Mannmade bridge retrofit. The best trem I've experienced and tuning problems are a thing of the past. Sustain and tone are improved too.

8. mike80

mike80 Member

All my trem equipped guitars have 3 springs. 2 of them are standard trems that aren't set up to float, and one is a Floyd.

I just screw the claw in until the trem is tight, and I don't have string bending problems.

The FR on the other hand......well, it was the reason I bought a fixed bridge guitar.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I always set mine to float. I have one strat style guitar with 2 springs (came that way out of the box); and another two guitars with strat-style trems which have 3 springs - one of those had only two springs in it until recently. Three is stiff enough for me and I wouldn't go for any more. And, I must admit I like the spongey feel of just two springs. I haven't noticed any real tuning issues from using just two.

10. snarkle

snarkle Member

Five, always. And I keep the bridge flush to the body; I'm not so much interested in using the trem to change pitch as I am attracted to the slight sheen of spring reverb this set-up adds to the sound.

I'm strong enough to do dive-bombs when needed and, oddly enough, I've only broken one tremelo arm in 35 years of Strat abuse...

11. empty71

empty71 Member

Three springs on my Strats and I set the trem to float a hair off the body :)

12. eric-d

eric-d Member

All 5 for me....

[​IMG]

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Depends on the bridge, but my fav is Grosh's 1088 with 3 springs. Best feeling and most stable bridge I've played.

14. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

I use 5 in one of my guitars, and 4 in another, and tighten the claw. I pretty much never use the trems, so It works out best this way for me. Maybe I should just get a hardtail ;)

15. acwild

acwild Member

For those who use 5, did you have to get a different trem arm? Mine's getting a little jiggly with just three.

16. guildchild

guildchild Member

i use 5. 2 of them are quite loose and act as resonators. i like that sound.

i run flat against the body without extra tension.

question: anyone floating while using 4-5 springs? i'm tempted to go back to floating for the occasional bigsby-ish type of wiggle. however, i'm doing a bunch of country right now and use the strat on a few tunes. during oblique bends, the stationary strings HAVE to stay at pitch. can i get there with 4 or 5 springs? or just play the gretsch when i need to wiggle?

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Five in my EJ/SRV mutt-Strat; four in my 1961 Stratocaster. I depends upon the amount of tension/recoil in the springs

jb

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

5 springs, seems to help keep the guitar in tune, I float my tremolo, so staying in tune is important.

19. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

20. 5E3

5E3 Member

There were 3 in mine, but too much movement during string bends, so went to 4 springs.