1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How many students is too many per instructor?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by macmeda, May 17, 2011.

1. macmeda

macmeda Silver Supporting Member

I am considering starting a course of lessons with a local instructor . Each time slot is 75 minutes (@$100). He says he currently has 60 students. Can one person give you personal instruction with backup with that kind of volume?
    I wouldn't even remember the names not to mention the small details of exactly what each student is needing specific guidance on.
    Just wondering.
    Thanks
    ME

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Cripes!! Dude is pulling $6k a week, teaching?!?!?

You'll never know if he's a good fit until you take a lesson. Obviously, he's popular. Unless it's master-level work, I don't know that I'd be willing to go $100 per lesson, to be honest, though.

3. EDS

EDS Member

I currently have 70+ students, but they're all half-hour lessons. I'd say there's pretty much no way he has 60 students per week if the lessons are 75 minutes each. It's virtually impossible to schedule that many students (75 hours worth) a week.

Its probably a good sign that the teacher is busy though.

4. macmeda

He did say some are bi-weekly.

5. macmeda

Any fellow San Diegans taken this route. There can/t be more than one guy fitting this mo in town?

6. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Member

I have almost that many students each week. It's not really that hard to keep track of each student and their progress. I'm not saying I'm perfect (I admit to occasionally having to ask a student where we left off the previous week) but as soon as a student walks in the door and gets settled I can jump right in to the lesson.

7. BarryE

BarryE Member

If you teach for a living (which I doFWIW), that is doable as far as remembering each student and what they are doing. Also I would suspect he writes little notes after a session to remind him before the next class. It really comes down to being efficient with one's time.

8. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I can't speak for that teacher, but if a person is organized, it is certainly possible.

I keep two separate documents for each student of mine:

1. A 'Notes' document where I keep track of cancellations, absences, payments made, rescheduling, etc. It's just a single Word doc that is in chronological order.

2. A 'Lesson Plan' document where the specifics of each lesson are detailed. What we worked on, what and how to practice for the next lesson, etc. Each lesson has it's own separate Lesson Plan.

It works for me.

9. macmeda

I appreciate all the instructors input on this thread. I'm finally trying to fill in the missing theory parts etc.
    It will be quite a challenge for any instructor to unravel
    the mishmash of 35yrs of "self taught " pieces.
    Kind of like doing a cross word puzzle written over
    35yrs by a person with engliish as self taught second language but done to a beat . If I feel this way about my position just imagine how the poor, professional who ends up with me will feel . Hah!

10. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Don't fool yourself: You sound like a model student, actually.

You have most of the pieces, you just need someone to help you fit it all together & connect the dots. I have 2 students just like that, and it's a pleasure working with them. I'd take you on in a heartbeat, but I'm in NJ!