How many times have YOU built the SAME board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 62Tele, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I amuse the crap out of myself (in a very expensive way). I find I build what is essentially the same board over and over again. Oh sure, different colors, maybe a tap tempo plus or minus what have you, but it's pretty much the same stinking thing in the end.

Am I the only one who does this? Kind of doubt it, but I'd like to see it in writing!

2. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I am close to where I was last year, but definitely better!

3. chrisross

chrisross Supporting Member

Well, I know what I like to have (Comp, Boost, 2 OD's, Delay, Reverb) and I just try to find my favorite ones of each. Right now I think I've got it...like, forreal though...

4. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

In the past decade I've built 2 'dream' boards that involved the rarest and most expensive pedals I always wanted. I've gone at it twice, no expense spared, even built the boards myself swearing that this one is 'for keeps'. I've had all sorts of CE-1s, Boss Spectrums, Mu-Tron phasors and stuff on them and for a time I'm satisfied until I realise I'm missing the fundamentals of my basic set-up which is no more than your average TGP board, just a wah/vibe/fuzz/drive/echo/reverb.

I've come back to this set up so many times cos I guess it just facilitates the music I enjoy playing.

I did go through one other stage once where I decided to use everything that was the opposite of what I had before to see if it made me play differently. I had like a Robotalk filter instead of a wah, an Ocataver instead of an octave fuzz, a flanger instead of a Vibe, Big Muff instead of a Fuzz Face but after a few nights of trying and failing to make it turn me into Frank Zappa I decided to come back to the old faithful.

I know it's been said before here but I really can't imagine a time when I'd want to completely change my set up again. The pedals and set up I have now all help me to sound better and put me at ease when I'm playing. After too long messing round with my rig I cannot WAIT to get stuck into learning and practicing and playing again. I love pedals and fiddling with my board but it really does take up precious guitar time!

5. UncleLarry

UncleLarry Member

I use all the same effects I always have. Now they're just included in my M13. :)

6. npfrs

npfrs Member

All. The. Time.

7. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

I replaced every pedal on my board one at a time, then the board and power supply.
    Then I realized I can put the leftover pedals on the extra board with the extra power supply.
    Seriously, I really did this. And the boards were pretty similar.
    I've since turned the leftover board into a bass pedalboard and sold off a bunch of pedals.

8. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Should we start a support group? Maybe this is one already...

9. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

Yeah, I hear ya.
    My excuse is that I now have a rehearsal board (that stays at the rehearsal space), a small board (quick grab & go for small gigs), and the mothership (my main board with my favorite pedals) that I take to big gigs.
    Oh, and I also put together a 6 string board (I normally play 8 most of the time).
    But in essence they are all - the - freakin - same :facepalm

10. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Yep, this in a nutshell.

I've always used the same types of effects, I just end up with several different versions of each over time. My board could change again, but I have no need to whatsoever. My second board is simply a smaller version of my bigger board.

Luckily the futility started kicking in recently, hopefully it will stick!

11. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I always seem to end up with the same core stuff for my main board (which I try to keep concise) and a second small board to serve as a backup/practice/direct board that is portable enough to carry along and complete enough to get my arse out of trouble if something goes down. And I still re-invent BOTH of these with predictable regularity. Futility tends to go without saying.