How Many use an EQ into your Amp to change tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HaroldBrooks, Aug 25, 2017.

1. kookaburra

kookaburra Member

A few decades back I was using a GE-7 as a solo boost. Not to shape the solo tone as much as just boost it in the mix. I usually used a hot bridge bucker (DMZ X2N) on my Strat.

What ended up happening is that I did find a use for it, where I used it to reshape the sound for one song that I was playing on the middle pup of said Strat. It worked very well, got a great boosted single coil sound that sat in the mix well.

That was as far as it went. I found the GE-7 not all that effective as a solo boost (YMMV), and we stopped playing that particular song. Still, I can understand the potential with an outboard eq.

2. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

I’ll go one step further and say that I wish somebody would design an amp where maybe a 10-band graphic EQ is the ONLY source of tonal shaping – no BMT knobs at all.... Much easier to tailor to each guitar that way.

Likewise wish, instead of preamp tube overdrive/master volume setup for the dirt channel... just have a couple pedal circuits built in. Like a nice transparent overdrive (but with a knob to add mids back in if needed) and a Marshally distortion (ala SL Drive or RAT)

As for EQs themselves... been using them for years. Not on every amp I’ve ever used, but certainly come in handy to tweak a bit. For example: used to make my original issue Hot Rod Deluxe alot more usable, was indispensible with a Fender Pro Junior, and nowadays helps shave off some of the woofy lows on my Quilter ToneBlock)

Gotta be fairly subtle with `em though... otherwise things can start sounding pretty “fake”, pretty quickly

3. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I typically use amps with at least 3 band eq...I want bass treble mids
    I have a drri and I like it...but will never ever buy another amp with less than the 3

Also most of my dirt pedals are 3 band...I have a couple with just a tone knob, but most have 3

That said, I have use 2 eq/s at once (one before and one after dirt) but tweaked too much so I went to dirt with 3 band and ONE eq pedal

I then had an mxr 10 band after dirt but it want kaput...put my trusty boss ge7 but was tweakin too much

now I have a barber barbq...3 band and a 3 way toggle after my dirt...all the eq I need

I am getting interested in putting post dirt stuffs into the amps effects loop
    problem is my drri and roland blues cube don't have a loop
    my hrdx has loop
    my classic 30 has loop, but it is also kaput...again...piece of junk it is

4. HaroldBrooks

HaroldBrooks Member

Great responses, Thanks and keep them coming ! Just wanted to add a couple of things, when I was a rookie, I had a compulsion to change every slider on my 10 Band MXR EQ, just because they were there... Later I found if you use only one frequency range out of ten after experimenting for a few hours, you already got your money's worth and then some ! never had amp tone controls (including my Marshall with Presence) that allowed me to Fine Tune specifics in my input sound. These days I make small changes to 3 frequency bands only, using a parametric Boss EQ. I consider it a miracle what it does for any of my amps. They all start out with great sounds, but I'm able to pull several more tones out of each. God bless the Equalizer.

5. 71strat

71strat Member

While Ive got a really great amp, ( Metro LTD ED GMP45 Head ) and the OD is some of the best there is, I still like to sculpt the sound with an EQ.

I got a Pete Cornish 3Q1, and its never leaving.

The GE 7 is also a lot better with the Silencer Mod.

6. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

EQ in the loop is the most awesome thing ever

AXEL276 likes this.