how many watts is this old mesa?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by docgorpon, May 31, 2015.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Just got a 50 caliber plus in trade. it's rated at 50 watts, I think. But I also think it's a transitional model, as it has a quartet of el84s (as opposed to the pair of 6l6s that came in the later models). I have been told this makes the amp only 30 or 35 watts, in actuality. I need to know because I want to make sure I get a speaker strong enough for no speaker distortion. I can't figure out if a v30 is the way to go, or something rated higher.

2. xtian

xtian Member

Yes, a quad of EL84 will create about 30 watts clean, almost 60 if driven to full square wave distortion.

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The Peavey Classic 50 uses 4 x EL84 in fixed bias.
    The ~35 watt limit for 4 x EL84 tends to be when they're operated in cathode bias.
    Their 300V limiting plate voltage is generally ignored.
    However, guitar speakers tend to distort even at low power levels, in that they add harmonics not present in the input signal.
    To minimise that, a very rigid cone is helpful, eg EVM12.

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The V30 will easily handle everything that 50 cal can dish out. It's conservatively rated at 60 watts.

5. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I agree with all that has been said. You would be fine with a V30. If you can, get a Mesa labeled V30. They have a smoother tone more suited to a combo, less of that V30 upper mid spike.

6. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Also a beefier voice coil, closer to 90W .

7. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

The other contender is a local Mesa Boogie Black Shadow labeled Celestion. Would this be a Classic Lead or a V30? It says 8ohms/90 watts, so I assume the former.

8. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I testify to how great that speaker is in a 50cal. Sounds much better than the V30 IMHO

9. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

That is the MC90 "Black Shadow." Mesa's tweak on the G1280 from about 30-35 years ago. Celestion changed the recipe for the general market and Mesa asked for the original back to be their exclusive.
    This is my favorite guitar speaker of all time. It belongs in rocked out, single 12" combos, and sounds much better than the V30 to me, too. Thicker. It stays pretty clean, but has that Celestion crunch when pushed really hard. The 50 Cal will have to work hard to come close to crushing it. I have one in my 60W MKIIC+, my ears give out long before the speaker does.

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I went ahead and got the Mesa speaker. It looks brand new. There's a lot of other work that needs to be done. So I hooked it up, but haven't tried it yet. I did, however, slice my finger pretty nicely on one of the edges while putting it in. I blame TGP.