1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

how many watts would this be?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by photios, Oct 13, 2006.

1. photios

photios Member

If I combine a 2 - Vintage 30 speaker (60 watts each) and 2 - Greenbacks (25 watts each) and I run the cab in stereo (i.e., 1 Greenback and 1 V30 per side) how many watts will the cabinet handle? Can I use a 50 watt per channel amp to drive the cab without fear of harm to the speakers or amp?

2. photios

photios Member

Let me see if I understand...so if the speakers are 40W combined, then is that called the RMS wattage? And then the PEAK wattage would be roughly twice that (80W)?

If that is the case, then my 50 watt per channel amp would defintiely push the 40W per side cab hard...very hard...but (in theory) it shouldnt blow anything up, right?

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Now why Im questioning OTM is beyond me however I always thought that if you had 2 dissimilar rated speakers the handling capacity would be twice the lower rated one? In this case 2x25 or 50 watts.