How many would buy a Ernie Ball Musicman if necks were WIDER?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tremonti, May 19, 2011.

1. Virtual Pariah

Virtual Pariah Member

Or you can do like I did and spec a 1 5/8 on my Suhrs.
    And a 1 5/8 on my Hamers which they offer as standard.

I like the vintage nut width, but then again I'm 5'3" and have small hands.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Two great examples of companies saying, "Hey, we know that the neck is one of the make or break factors to many guitar players" and showing that they're interested in getting their guitars into your hands.

Funny thing for me is that I almost never notice a neck. Thick, medium, flat, curved, shoulders, V, it's all the same for me. Except EBMM that is. I can't play them. Total deal breaker.

3. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

Again I will say 1 5/8 is NOT. 1.650

It is 1.625
    Likewise 1 11/16 is 1.687

Seems like it isn't a major difference but to our hands it is

1.650 is what Suhr offers and it is in the middle

4. beej

beej Supporting Member

Right. As said earlier, there are lots of great options out there if you want something else.

MM doesn't feel the need to offer other neck sizes, that's their prerogative and it obviously works really well for them. We can all speculate on how many people might order necks if they were wider, etc., but I'm sure they have a handle on exactly what the cost/benefits are of adding additional neck sizes.

Armchair quarterbacking someone else's company usually doesn't lead to a fruitful discussion. You can't say definitively how many people might buy something, what the costs of tooling for it are, etc. It's not ever as simple as "just add one more option". There's a lot more to running their business.

Frankly, I'm always surprised at how often people pick at this- the fact is, they don't offer the things they don't offer. Lots of companies don't offer things I wish they would, or think might be successful. That's life ... as the song says, you can't always get what you want.

5. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

there are literally thousands of pages on this very board that fly in the face of this logic.

6. KazJY

KazJY Member

+1, BUT, the Reflex models come close to having this... close....

I'd love an Axis with a bigger neck profile. I love everything about it but this.

7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

In spite of Sterling's usual nonsense rant about how many thousands of combinations there are to order on the guitars as it is, he does need to offer a wider neck on the non-artist gtrs such as the Axis and Axis SuperSport, Silhouette etc. I cant even imagine another easier way to make already great gtrs that much better.

I have a JP6 and would love a 22 fret version option for any of the other non-artist gtrs. As a result Id own more MM gtrs.

As it is, id like to buy a new gtr but am going to buy other than MM because of the narrow width necks that prevail.

8. sosomething

sosomething Supporting Member

EBMM guitars have turned me into a narrow-nut convert.

I love them. My Suhr is 1.650 which is close enough that I can switch between them and not even detect a difference.

But.. I still play my 1-11/16 Gibsons and Fenders too.

I guess I don't see why this is such a big deal.

9. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Man, I was just at Guitar Center in Tempe to pick up some mic clips, and they had a KILLER Axis used for $1700. Barely resisted.

Of note, they also had 2 nice Jets (Duo and Silver), a nice hardtail Wolfgang, vintage Tele Deluxe, some Andersons, a Martin / American Archtops 2-pickup box

I try to stay away from that place in favor of local joints, but DANG

10. landru64

landru64 Member

i generally wish music man necks were bigger all around.

11. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

This is what I think people should concentrate on
    It is A COMPLIMENT

We LOVE the guitars and hoped they could offer a couple minor changes or options

It is NOT hating the guitars at all
    I have never seen so many posts on people saying that EBMM necks are small
    You could do a case study on it
    "what is the first thing that comes to mind when we say EBMM ? "
    "Small necks!"
    Would be the answer

I'm surprised that the insistence of this isn't taken as a compliment

12. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

This is what I think people should concentrate on
    It is A COMPLIMENT

We LOVE the guitars and hoped they could offer a couple minor changes or options

It is NOT hating the guitars at all
    I have never seen so many posts on people saying that EBMM necks are small
    You could do a case study on it
    "what is the first thing that comes to mind when we say EBMM ? "
    "Small necks!"
    Would be the answer

I'm surprised that the insistence of this isn't taken as a compliment

13. doesitmatter

doesitmatter Member

Nope. the neck is the best thing about those guitars. Of course I'm 5,7" so most other guitars make me feel like I'm 11 years old.

14. beej

beej Supporting Member

Hah!

15. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Been playing pro for 44 years. Thin neck, wide neck...I play them all, and badly to boot. When I got my first EBMM it took about a week to get accustomed to the neckshape. The operative word is "took about a week", not, "tried it in a GC and didn't like it". I remember coming from thin 60's Gibson necks and Fenders to my first PRS wide-fat; took about a week to get used to it, then it was my favorite profile for decades.

I've owned seven EBMMs and my current Number One is an Albert Lee. I also have a really wide-fat SE and a "right down the middle" LP. Two songs into a set I don't notice.

This said, just for those folks who would like to be EBMM players, I think it would be a good thing for Musicman to offer one larger carve as an option. It won't be on the artist models, but if Silhouettes and Axis's/Reflexs were offered with a choice I really think it would help sales and get more of these fantastic guitars out there.

16. rhinocaster

Plenty of us have owned one or more EBMM and couldn't get used to the shape/size of their necks.

Believe it or not, I've actually gotten used to some things that didn't feel perfect right off the bat. The EBMM neck is not one of those things.

17. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

then they're not the guitars for you. with so many options out there, i just don't see why it's a big deal.

18. rhinocaster

This makes my head hurt.

We're on a thread that asked us if we would buy EBMM guitars if the necks were wider, and then we get taken to task for making it a big deal when we answer the question. :bonk

I'm disappointed because one of my favorite guitar looks in the world is the Albert Lee. I can't have one because the company will only make one neck size for that guitar and it doesn't work for me. I can't just buy the guitar and have a luthier reshape the neck because the problem is that there's not enough neck there in the first place.

I haven't started a campaign against EBMM and I don't rip on their products.

I answered a simple question.

19. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

This kind of logic totally insults my intelligence
    ITS A COMPLIMENT FOLKS GET IT????!!!

no one seemed to read my comment that by mistake I even posted twice

What is with the logic that "they are not guitars for you??"
    That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard
    People walk into stores all over the world looking at products and offering their advice on them
    Forums also share a use into giving feedback for these companies
    It is NOT bashing
    I said it again
    It is actually digging it so much that nothing else would ever be as good as getting THAT
    I mean begging for a one off that you will pay for also is flattery when there are so many custom shops open

Please don't regurgitate things others have said in the past that are just plain nonsensical

And yes someone posted a thread if you would buy a EBMM if they had a wider neck and we are answering
    If you ask me people saying they like the necks the way they are, are more in the wrong being here than people actually answering the question

The question wasn't " if you are happy with EBMM necks"

It is "How many would buy a Ernie Ball Musicman if necks were WIDER?"

And we are saying " me!"

If you answered " the necks are fine" YOU are not answering the question

I said it a million times why do EBMMers have this crazy thing of needing to back up EBMM to perfect status and stick up fir them even when there is nothing to stick up for

Geez

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Might I interject that if Ric made a 60's 360-12 with a big neck I'd find a way to buy it NOW. So it's not just an EBMM dump, but the OP did specifically ask about EBMM so there ya go.