How many would buy a Ernie Ball Musicman if necks were WIDER?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tremonti, May 19, 2011.

1. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

The EBMM, specifically Silhouette necks fit me just fine. In fact, I find I actually have a more difficult time adjusting to the wider neck on my SG.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

I love the necks on ebmm
    I think Sterling could do another model similiar to the axis with a bit wider and slightly flatter radius and it sell good.

Those unique qualities of different brands are what make people like them. I cant's get with a Les Paul. Don't like the body but love the necks. It's just so nice to have choices

3. socalscott

socalscott Member

I had a beefier version made for a git I purchased from builder Joe Till. It feels like it was made for my hand and string tension...plays like butta'.

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

That very observation leads me to believe there is money to be made there.

5. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I played a Fender 62 reissue Tele for 13 years which was my #1 ax and had a 7.25 radius and a width of 42mm just about exact as a 62 Strat two iconic guitars, the Axis has a 10" radius and a width of 41.3mm at the nut and 55.6 at the last fret. The AL has just about the same exact specs, but I never heard a complate about a 7.25 radius on either Fender reissues which are still huge sellers. I am a totally two guitar company player with over 25 years a Fender die hard and the lat 5 an EB die hard and could care much about anything else though my Strats are all 9.5. I also think this is why you will see easily 3-1 every new guy who gets hooked on EB was/is a Fender player as it is a very smooth transition.

I do not know all the ins and outs of the legal aspects of running a guitar company, but I understand where everyone is coming from that would like the option of a bigger neck on some models. I personally would owm quite a few JP's if it had a thicker neck but I am also in the minority in that department since it is by far EB's biggest seller.

But this brings me back to something that happened on the Fender Forum some years ago and what I personally believe is the reason that bigger necks are not offered. Four of the main guitars in the EB line are sig guitars made to the exact specs of the artist that use them. But getting back to what I wanted to explain I remember a guy asking for a Clapton CS with different specs which he was told could not be done, but since Claptons sig is based on either a 56 or 57 Strat he could order it that way and everything would be exact except it would not have Claptons sig. So this leaves me to believe that due to whatever legal matters between company, artist and lawyers may be the reason. Say what you want about Sterling but he is an excellent business man and has taken this company to heights I believe no one there ever dreamed of.

For anyone who wants to dispute those facts just look at when EBMM was an ink blot and then landed the biggest guitarist on the planet one Eddie Vanhalen who tripled there sales and made it where they could move into a new factory, then wound up leaving to go with a much larger one Peavey who als made a great ax for him. But in the long run when VH left Sterling kept everything US made picked up some more players players to work with like Lee, Luke and Petrucci-Morse was there before Ed and continued on turning out as good a guitar that can comeout of a Factory. On the other hand when Ed left Peavey which was a much bigger company who made a good blue collar guitar but never had no cred in the guitar community till they landed Ed and finally gained the respect they always wanted ,flushed it all down the tubes and is now making $250 Asian guitars.

So I doubt Sterling is not aware that a lot of players would like a bigger neck option, and the bottom line it is a business and I am sure he would not like to move more guitars because he is stubborn, there just has to be more to it than meets the eye. Perhaps someone with more knowledge could explain a reason better than I.

6. J3F

J3F Member

I think there's a couple of interesting points here.

Sterling seems to be the kind of dude who, in his style of thinking, comes from the ethos when fender (for example) did a few guitars. Only a few. Each, at a point in time, was available with a certain spec. Just one. You could choose the colour. And it would last for 10 years, and then they'd change it.

Nowadays, every mid-high end manufacturer (suhr for example) seems to offer every possible option. Now thats cool, I really think it is.

But its also cool to go back to the simpler idea, where a guitar is the manufacturer's vision; not your vision with infinate customisation. "Here's the guitar, this is what its made of, and this is how it feels."

I think there's a fair bit of badge engineering out there nowadays... "Shall I buy a Tyler, or a Suhr, and an Anderson?"... "oh but I wish he'd change his headstock".... "oh the quilt is better on a...."

...some people really like most of what MusicMan do, and really like the vibe - but they don't like the neck. What more can be said about that?

I can't see why its so obvious that EBMM should change because of that? It may seem obvious to someone who wants one but doesn't like the neck, but its EBMM on the headstock, and maybe their vision is more important than changing what they do.

I've just realised that I have the ability to ramble, even when typing.:facepalm

7. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i definitely understand the other side, but a company can't be everything to everyone. if they change, then their hardcore fans say they sold out and haven't stayed true to their own vision. if they stick it out, then people bash them for not making exactly what they want. so we as guitarists either conform to the guitar or find something else.

look, i wanted an LP. badly. but i just can't get comfortable with them. i love the way they look and sound. but we just don't get along, no matter what the neck profile is. so i don't own one. we can't always have exactly what we want. but we can buy something else that feels right in the right way. that's why i own a PRS. it feels right (and with a pup swap, it sounds right).

8. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Why not just play the scrawny neck?
    Because, depending on one's hand, finger size and dexterity there IS a difference.
    Scrunching the fingers together to play in the first position is one problem and the tendency to mute adjacent strings with the pad of the fingertip is another.
    An extra 20 thou or so between each string actually helps, requiring less precise finger placement.
    Nuts should be sized as wide as possible, for the player, not as narrow as possible, which is the case at 1 5/8 or less, for many, who may not even realize it.

9. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

A company certainly can choose to offer options to its customers. Most of the smaller companies seem to want to get guitars in players hands and offer options accordingly.

The bizarro thing about the Albert Lee is that you can get all kinds of options on it. You can get trem or no trem. You can get humbuckers, single coils, P90s. EBMM is saying "We'll build you any Albert Lee you want, but we draw the line at the neck". :bonk

10. DrBob

DrBob Member

What he said, I've had 2 Albert Lee's as well as a Silo Special, Axis, Axis Sport, & Axis Supersport, all lovely, and extremely well made guitars

The back profile on both AL necks was lovely and had they been wider at the nut I probably would never have sold them

11. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

but as the manufacturer, that's their prerogative. and it's mine to say "ok, well then your necks are toothpicks and i'm going to buy something else." if they don't want my business then they don't have to have it.

12. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

What TOTALY boggles my mind is that if Sterling spends so much frickin money on the Gamechanger and othe R&D which makes him a risk taker then why not offer a limited run on let's say SILOS or AXIS with a wider neck ???

See what happens

But that is exactly the point Sterling has too much of an ego to do anything unless it was HIS idea

You can tell his character by the way he dictates the forum

13. Songman

Songman Member

+1000
    Second biggest reason that tuned me off about EBMM. If you ever been to their forum, you would know that he thinks his king.

On the side note, guitars are fine and overall customer service is excellent. I guess as long as I don't hang out at their forum, I'm all good.

14. memiller

memiller Member

I wonder how many people here would crap themselves if faced with a mandolin neck. "But the spacing is so smaaaaaal!"

15. Oakvillain

Oakvillain Member

I can't fault EBMM. They can't please everyone. I lov'em.

16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Ah but you play a mando different, it's a different instrument with a different fretting technique, etc.

Who the heck wants to change how they play between manufacturers for the same instrument? Heck I even play a bass vi the same way I play a tele. Maybe I shouldn't, but at least I can. But a pencil neck? Can't fret a clean cowboy chord A for the life of me!

17. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

How many of you would buy an EBMM if thr necks were wider

I'm sure there are "how many of you love EBMM " threads as well

I love their guitars too btw

18. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

EBMM is like a fricken chick that plays hard to get lol

"come on can you please build a guitar with a wider neck?"
    "no!"
    " please I love you, but I just want a wider neck, it doesnt mean I don't think you have good taste in neck widths"
    " no, if you really loved me then you would be happy with what I give you"
    " come on honey I do love you but It would just make a perfect thing even more perfect"
    " no, obviously I am not the right one for you so u should choose someone else"
    " but I don't want anyone else I want you, just with a tad wider neck"

Lol

Sorry had to do that

19. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Who's arguing anything different?

20. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Everyone in this thread who wants them to make a larger neck