How many would buy a Ernie Ball Musicman if necks were WIDER?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tremonti, May 19, 2011.

1. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

The narrower neck width is a reason I like EBMM guitars.

We ain't all got sausages for fingers, you know.

2. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

Not wider,but thicker front to back.And yes bigger frets.Otherwise nice guitars.

3. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

You're making my head hurt again.

The company is going to do whatever they want to do and of course that's their right. Nobody is saying that they should be forced to make anything they don't want to make.

We're simply disappointed that they won't see fit to offer a neck we can play.

Honestly, I don't understand the posts that feel the need to stick up for EBMM on this thread. It's like we're not even allowed to say that we'd LOVE for them to build a bigger neck so we could own one of those killer guitars.

This isn't about any failure to please everyone on the part of EBMM, it's about not even wanting to try.

As we all know, that's their prerogative.

4. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

i have no dog in this fight. i don't play EBMM guitars and really have never played one that grabbed me. but they're obviously not changing this one thing for anybody so find something else. there are plenty of other killer guitars out there.

5. rhinocaster

Hate to bring it up again, but this thread is asking if we'd buy EBMM guitars if they offered a bigger neck. That's why we're talking about it.

I'm not sitting around waiting for EBMM to change before I go buy a guitar. I have wonderful guitars.

6. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Agree with OP, the neck is just too small.

7. tone?

tone? Supporting Member

What no one liked my post about thr chick??
    I thought that was pretty funny

Lol

8. rust_in_peace

rust_in_peace Member

I think for a lot of guitar players, one of the main things they look for in a guitar is the way the neck plays, which is why offering only one size of neck is stupid. I've had the same gripe with Carvin for years. EVERY major guitar company offers at least a couple different size necks, I don't see why EBMM and Carvin can't do the same.

FWIW, I LOVE the neck profiles on the EBMM, but I'm a big guy with big hands, so it does get a little crowded for me.

9. SlavSux

SlavSux Member

I seriously doubt that Sterling would not offer an option just because of his ego. Yes, they may sell more guitars if they offered a wider neck, but how many? Will total sales meet the necessary profit margins to counteract the cost of retooling the CNC machines? Its not just a matter of making the nut wider as you have to consider what does it do to the over all carve of the neck, the neck pocket, what effect will it have on the placement of the tuners and will that in turn decrease overall tuning stability, what will it do to the tone of the guitar and so on. What about printed materials, WebMaster costs to update the website, what is it going to cost to educate your sales team, etc. Thats a lot of time and money into a guitar/option that may or may not necessarily turn into strong a strong seller. I know you want to argue that EBMM pours money into R&D, but part of what makes EBMM guitars play so well are the little innovations that increase playability (sculpted neck joint, Trussrod wheel, Tone block, etc) and those do cost money. The thing is, most of those R&D types of items will eventually make it uniformly into the entire line of EBMM products thus decreasing the impact on profit models and justifying their cost. For example, most of their guitars use a 10 radius, same nut size and fret wire... do you think that may be a way for them to help keep production costs down?

Lets just say that they did add a 2nd neck profile for the Axis, Silhouette, Silhouette Special and Reflex and left the artist guitars as they were. Lets just say it raised the cost of each guitar $300-$400 per model including the Sig guitars. Is it worth it to EBMM to distribute the R&D and Retooling cost to all customers so a portion of the market which they don't think they need to capture can be happy? I think what makes EBMM different is that they can "mass produce" a semi-custom instrument for a very competitive price and in a fairly decent time frame (4 months or something like that) Remember, they are still a fairly small operation and it makes sense that the more options they offer the slower production runs overall. I think Sterling has been very up front about not wanting do anything to increase customer wait times when ordering instruments. If he was better at communicating on the forum why they can't or wont do it there may not be as much anger directed at him. Yes, Suhr can build you anything you want but how much is a modern these days? $3000-3500 (street) and whats the current wait time... 11 months? How much is a PRS? How truly custom are the Fender and Gibson custom shop guitars? I think EBMM's main concern right now is building the best possible guitar at the best possible price ($1600 average for non BFR) and staying in business.

Don't get me wrong, I would love an EBMM Custom shop. I would love to be able to put an Axis neck on everything! But what would the cost of a Custom Shop EBMM be and would the quality be any better? Would an EBMM still have the same perceived value if it cost as much as a Custom Suhr, Anderson or other custom builder? I would think that PRS suffers from competing in the same price point as Suhr and Anderson... but their main competition is Gibson so its completely different in many ways.

To answer the original question. Do I think people would buy an EBMM with a wider neck. Yes, but do I think there would be enough people to buy one that it would be worth it for them to produce? Doesn't matter because they don't think so. There are a ton of builders who will. Thats the point Beej was trying to make. EBMM realizes it can't be everything to everybody at this point in time and I can respect that.

Tone, its not a matter of trying to discredit your opinion or trying to make you think EBMM's way or being a "fan boy". I am looking at it from a business perspective and trying to look at it from a cost perspective. Hopefully you can see that there is lot to consider and there may be a lot more into it than they don't want to do it. Trust me, there are a ton of things I would love to see on a Ball and sometimes I just have to go elsewhere to get what I want. Variety is the spice of life.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  10. Chaka5150

Chaka5150 Member

I'm going to be bias here obviously as i own two musicman's. I have an axis which is actually my favorite guitar. no nonesense--simple rock n' roll to the core guitar. I have big mitts, and yes, the axis neck especially is narrow at times. but it rips hard! my JP BFR has a much wider neck +(15" radius vs 10"on the axis), which is precisely the reason I bought it. both are very comfortable to me.

11. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Great points by both joey3f and Slavsux, as I stated I would like to here from someone who actually knows more about costs and what it takes to run a guitar company to possibly set some of these questions straight. Where is Scotty Fletcher (Jet City) as Scot could probably clear up a lot of these questions, like it is probably due to 4 EBMM guitars being sigs as to why they cant offer a bigger neck due to some legal mumbo jumbo, or would it really cost more money. By the way I know Scott a couple of years now from the Links and he will build you any size neck you want, or a killer guitar as he is one extremely talented luthier.

There is one big part of the puzzle that is being missed out in all of this, 4 of EBMM guitars are sigs, actually 5 if you throw in the Axis which was the old EVH, and all were designed with the exact specs of the players that play them ,Morse, Lee, Luke, Petrucci and I think EVH should be thrown in as wel, and his neck was digitally mapped from his 5150 ax, and technique wise it would be hard to beat the talent of that crew. But it seems for some reason they all like there necks on the smaller side or there would be a bigger neck. **** the JP6 has a 16" radius but the guy likes his necks thin like a ruler and so must a lot of other players since that ax is there biggest seller.

Tone you almost made it but on page five you finally cracked and ranted on Sterling lmfao!

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I still wouldn't buy one but to me the nut width doesn't bother me as long as its not wider then the 1 11/16ths I'm good. The necks do feel a little small for some reason (could be the shape?) but what I don't like is the fret wire they use. Its like the 6150 which is just too flat. Nice guitars, beautiful woods and finishes but personally I think a Tele is a better looking guitar then the Axis which is probably my favorite Ernie Ball anyway. In the end I'm still a strat guy.

13. SlavSux

SlavSux Member

So what you are saying is that since another guitar suits you better you will spend your money there rather than crying that a particular company doesn't build a guitar with your personal specs? +1!!

14. rhinocaster

That's what we all do.

Crying that EBMM won't take my money? No.

15. Amplite

Amplite Member

I would think there is at least one person who has had a custom neck made for an Albert Lee? I wish he would chime in and say how it worked out!

16. glockaxis

glockaxis Member

One of the only ones with a custom neck on an Albert Lee is Blues Saraceno or any close friend or relative of Sterling. I assume some artists can also ask for and get a custom neck on anyone of their current models. I believe Joe Bonamassa got a custom neck on his Petrucci.

17. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

IMO the narrow gun oil finished necks on EBMM guitars great, however the body styles are way too small for me and look melted on some models.

The Reflex and the 25th anniversary Axis are a step in the right direction but they still don't sit right with me playing wise.

If they offered the Petrucci guitar body with the Axis neck, I would purchase that in a second.

The Luke and Petrucci have extreme neck carves IMO, Luke (Hard V), Petrucci (ultra thin assymetrical D) that they felt like medieval torture devices to me.

It is the reasons above that I have now moved on to G&L guitars. I can get a full size strat body, 1 5/8" nut width, and consistent QC.

18. straycat113

straycat113 Member

The bottom line is we have all seen posts like this pertaining to just about every major guitar maker-you cant please everyone. As long as EB and Fender continue to please me I will continue to be a customer.

Gibson die hards saying how there QC sucks and buying any model in the last decade is a mistake.

There has also been a lot of anti PRS backlash lately with guys crying there guitars are not holding value.

Fender and the whole relic thing.

For what its worth EBMM has turned itself into a force to be reckoned with starting from a very small company, and has the Balls to go outside the box. I do still wish I could get a JP with a neck I like but thats life.

19. JDouglee

JDouglee Member

I ordered an extra wide neck Petrucci a few years ago from a dealer, no problem.

It just happened to have a 7th string on it. :)

20. tremonti

tremonti Member

The whole point of the forums is to discuss **** we like and don't like....so saying "that's life" means nothing to us. This is a FORUM!