How may times have you lost that riff or start of song....

AXEnGEAR4J

One of my biggest downfalls to creativity is forgetting or not recording a great riff or start of a song while picking the axe in front of a TV or whatever... You know those ones that you know sound and feel awesome that could lead somewhere? then to forget and only to be gone forever? Sometimes you bring them back after thinking hard but the timing or beat is off or a note missing and never the same? Sometimes you can recreate a masterpiece but never the same.

AXEnGEAR4J

I'm getting better....:D
But those many years and decades before...lol :p

Too many, but not many since I purchased my first smartphone. I always have a phone on me. A quick recording of idea is only a couple button presses away.

Shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
Sometimes they're not worth remembering. I wouldn't say it's a hard fast rule but if you can remember it, you're probably on to something.

NorCal_Val

Silver Supporting Member
How many times have you been really disappointed after listening to that awesome riff the next day?
Ever find it really was just not that awesome after all.

Many times. But the great thing about recording ideas, is that there's always one that didn't seem
awesome the day before, but upon further review, is a nice surprise.

2HBStrat

One of my biggest downfalls to creativity is forgetting or not recording a great riff or start of a song while picking the axe in front of a TV or whatever... You know those ones that you know sound and feel awesome that could lead somewhere? then to forget and only to be gone forever? Sometimes you bring them back after thinking hard but the timing or beat is off or a note missing and never the same? Sometimes you can recreate a masterpiece but never the same.

Yeah, too many times. I've learned to get a part down quickly before the exact cool timing and/or lick morphs into something less cool......

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, too many times. I've learned to get a part down quickly before the exact cool timing and/or lick morphs into something less cool......
Sometimes I noodle up something and it comes out great but it morphs into something bland even as I study it!!
Usually it is a rhythmic phrasing that is catchy but hard to capture and repeat the next day.

tapeworm

Too many, but not many since I purchased my first smartphone. I always have a phone on me. A quick recording of idea is only a couple button presses away.
This. Always using my notepad to jot down lyrics or making a quick recording of an idea. Gotta get it down while it's fresh or you may lose it.

ZeyerGTR

Sure, I try to record everything (smartphone, logic, pen and paper, etc), but I also have the attitude that with 100s of riffs already sitting on my hard drive, it's not a lack of riffs or chord progressions or melodies that isn't leading to songs. It's the time to take those riffs and turn them into good songs. That's the big thing. If I lose one riff here or there, I've got ten more coming down the pipe at some point so I don't worry about it. It's not like I'll never think of another good riff again, or that I don't already have tons waiting to be used.

I've also found that when I can't remember something the next day it's not the notes, it's the rhythm. I tend to remember where I was playing, and what the notes were, it's the groove and rhythm I have a hard time replicating.

Last edited:

supergenius365

Disclaimer: Not an actual supergenius
Silver Supporting Member
I hit upon a riff and play it over and over. Then I will think about a chord change/where the song should go next, and then completely forget the original riff :(

swiveltung

Yep, it definitely happens. Just something not in the groove like the original thought. It's a pisser....

Overdriver18

Sometimes they're not worth remembering. I wouldn't say it's a hard fast rule but if you can remember it, you're probably on to something.

I've found this too. If i play something and record it, but completely forget about it until i stumble upon the recording, there's a good chance it never goes anywhere. Recording ideas is super important though, because I have bad memory and will forget nuances without having a phone to record stuff.

Also, the other thing that makes me sad is when i'm playing something and i'll think i've stumbled upon something really cool and then I'll realize I've already written something super close to it in the past, or its a line from a song I've heard recently.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom