How much boost should a Barber tonepress have?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaymeister, Jul 22, 2006.

1. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I'm wondering if the Barber tonepress has a huge volume boost at proper level settings. Their manual says 15dB, which should be noticeable right?

I got a brand new one, and I can't get more than unity out of the unit, even on clean settings. I was hoping for more boost, and then being able to roll the volume back on my guitar.

As a comparison, the comp side of my VS route 66 pedal has a ton of volume boost available. I guess I'm wondering if the tonepress I got is defective or if the claims of 15dB boost in the manual are wrong. I know how to twiddle knobs, but I'm just not getting it with this pedal.

I know some of you guys have experience with this unit. Fill me in.

:)

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Mine has a ton of boost available. I set the Volume knob at ~12:30.

3. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Thanks...as I stated, mine has zero boost. I think it's defective.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

If you haven't already, you may want to crack it open and see where the internal knob is set. I can't remember what factory default is, (you can always check on their site), but I'd tweak it first in BOTH directions to see if this helps.
    Mine boosts alot.

Good luck.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

It depends on how much you compress the signal. If you turn the blend knob to zero and turn up the volume it will act as a clean boost. But when compressed it does lower the volume and I always have the volume between 2-4 o'clock. Try that out and see if it works.

6. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried countless variations of the knobs, and the most I can get is unity out of the unit. If I set it like the manual suggests for a volume boost, I get unity.

Most other settings are either unity or quieter. I am doing my comparisons to unaffected signal by using a bypass looper.

7. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Thanks Dave...I only have a Teese wah in front of the tonepress. I have tried the unit on it's own and in my GCX loop (not using the buffered input at this time, but it didn't matter). Passive PU guitars. G&L blade PU's and stock PRS PU's.

As mentioned, with the setting suggestions above I get unity, and no boost. I have gigged with it as well. I like the unit, but can't get the levels I'd like out of it. It really drops volume at more compressed settings.

Thanks for the help.

8. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Using a Boss PSA.

9. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Hi Dave, I emailed the guy in town that I bought it from to actually see if he has another in stock to A/B it with mine. My lowest output pickups are about 7.5

I'll see if I can try it out with him in the next bit. Thanks for the help so far.

10. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Hi Dave,

I have got it working as expected now...sounds fantastic! I sent you an email to discuss further.

Regards,

Jay

11. RitalinCupcake

RitalinCupcake Member

Don't leave us hanging, what was it?

Must have been something stupid.:messedup

:D

12. jj jafar

jj jafar Member

Yes,cant have this whole story and hold back on the ending!
    The truth shall set you free!:p
    Jason

13. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

Props to Mr. B for jumping in and dealing with the problem. For what it's worth, I've been loving my Tonepress for over a year now and rarely turn it off. David

14. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

Thanks again Dave...For my troubleshooting award I select the free Small Fry.:rotflmao

15. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

allright............so its abundantly clear it was something minor........what was it ?

16. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

OK...OK...Two problems I identified

1. The switch wasn't getting a workout because it was in my rack drawer...that was causing some wierd problem when I was initially trying to troubleshoot the problem going guitar--->tonepress---amp. The tonepress was initially behaving the same way in my rack looper as it was just by itself. It finally 'clicked' so-to-speak.
    2. The bigger issue, and Dave has nailed it, is with the tonepress working with my rack switching system. I'll need to figure something out here.

17. JPenn

JPenn Member

Kind of off topic, anybody hitting a Direct Drive with a Tone Press? I'm looking for the right pedal to take the DD into the liquid zone. It's either the TP or the Silver LTD, I just haven't figured out which to get yet.