How much breaking in time for a speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pott, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

My amps both have speakers with less than 15 hours on them I'd say. I'm guessing that's way too little time for breaking in period?

How long does it usually take, played at bedroom to moderate levels? I haven't noticed yet any huge change in sound from either since I put them in.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

At those levels you can figure on the speaker taking 3-4 times longer to break in than what you were originally told.

Speaker cones have to move to break in. While using a filament transformer, variac set to a certain voltage, or pounding them with CD's over and over again for many hours at decent volumes (20 watts minimum) with your home stereo are options as well, the volume levels you're talking about won't really make the speaker move as much as small club (or larger) stage volumes.

If you're playing at bedroom (conversation level) or just a little higher volumes, the cones are not moving nearly as much as at 20 watts or so.

3. Pott

Pott Member

That figures :( Thanks. I unfortunately have NO WAY whatsoever of cranking my amps. One is a 30W Laney AOR with a 12'' Emi Cannabis Rex and the other a 15W Laney VC15 with a 10'' Emi Legend 105. I have no stereo, all my music is on my PC... I guess I could try to use them as my computer PCs ah... Plugging into the effects return. Only option I have. There's a kid's bedroom nextdoor and I live in a flat though.

4. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Just keep playing them as loud as you can maybe stick a pillow in front of the speaker but in time you should notice a difference hopefully for the better.

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

it takes 20 years for a speaker to break in completely, when it's finished breaking in, it's actually just broken and will no longer work, at this point just throw it away.

6. Pott

Pott Member

haha ok fair enough... That makes sense, after all why should the cone stop stretching entirely after a while I guess?

7. Traps

Traps Member

Do a search for the posts I have made - I posted a similar question, and received a lot of good feedback:banana

8. greasykid

greasykid Member

I just hooked up my Emi RWB to the TV's subwoofer out yesterday. Will test it in my amps after about 2 weeks.

9. Pott

Pott Member

Traps, thanks dude, I just read the whole thread!

No TV, no hifi here, and LOADS of neighbours in a busy street :p Seems I'm doomed. I can't let the amps run through music all day, I only get about 2 hours of play per afternoon if I'm lucky and I don't/can't play loud :(
    If I had any friends who were gigging I'd lend them the stuff but that too isn't happening these days.
    I may try to hookup the PC to my amps' effects returns and run it through there.

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Run an extention cord up to the roof of your flat and do a session on the roof. Play it flat out the entire weekend and that should break it in well.

Don't forget to charge for admission. That should help pay for moving expenses next week.:D

11. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Heres a good bit of advise from celestion.
    http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/drdecibel/index.asp Hit the drop down box to select,, speaker break-in.
    Maybe you could possibly wait till the coast is clear to crank it up.
    Honostly though,, do your speakers actually sound like crap?
    Im wondering because all the speakers I have ever bought sounded pretty good right out of the box. Granted,, they all seemed to smooth out given some time but they did sound good as soon as I hooked them up.
    To me,, part of the fun of new speakers as long as they sound decent right off the bat,, is waiting to hear just how good they will get eventually. Its never drastic but they do seem to mellow out a bit.

12. Pott

Pott Member

Know they both sound great, but I was expecting a little more obvious of a change I guess. I'm mostly just curious. I guess I'll notice when I hear the difference.

13. mysticaxe

mysticaxe Member

You could try putting the amp face down on your bed and put a blanket on the back (trying to allow some air to move and cool the tubes). That should let you run it a little higher than just having the amp on the floor.

Some speakers have a bigger change in sound when breaking in - I don't know where your Emi's fall. When I broke in my greenbacks, I think they just smoothed out a little bit.

14. doc

doc Member

Take 'em out of the cab and then play through them - most of the bass that annoys your neighbors will be gone and you can play at pretty high levels without much problem.

15. nomadh

nomadh Member

Turn the bass up and play drop D. Better yet borrow a bass and play that awhile. That ought to show those damned speakers who's boss :)

16. scotty danger

scotty danger Member

squigglefunk: I'm gonna quote you on that post and put it in my sig. that was rad.

i'm at about 8 hours on my weber 30 watt blue dog. i've been playing loud, in Eb, with heavy strings, still got a lot of time to go. ughhhhh

17. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

You got no other place you could do the break-in?
    Friend's house?