How much clean headroom in an RSA 23?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael c, Feb 14, 2008.

1. michael c

michael c Member

Can you gig with a Divided by 13 RSA 23 and have plenty of clean headroom with a Les Paul? (I'm sure a Strat or Tele may be fine.)

Can any owners give their thoughts.

Thanks.

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

I don't own an RSA 23, but I think it is hard for anyone to give advice when you don't state your needs more specifically.
    What kind of gigs are you doing? What kind of music do you play? Are you the only guitar player? How loud is your drummer?

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

It you use the low input, you can get OK headroom with a Les Paul, but not much. Is there a song you have in mind? How do you define clean? :)

4. michael c

michael c Member

Enough to fill a medium sized stage. If the venue is bigger, things will obviously be mic-ed up. I need to be able to play chords and not have any break up for certain pieces.

Not worried about studio stuff as I have many amps that will cover this, but if I want to use this amp in a live situation, I would like to know if there is enough clean headroom to get some classic clean voicings to be just that, clean ala some Edge or Andy Summers stuff.

Thanks.

5. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Not really. The clean headroom on an RSA 23 stops after the dial is past "1".

Other than that, you can roll your volume but you're not going to get the clean cleans. Personally I'm not a fan of the rolled volume cleans with an LP. For a meduim sized stage, most likely not enough.

-Rich

6. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I would agree - probably not enough for what you want.

7. davros

davros Member

I also agree. The RSA 23 doesn't have much 'clean' headroom at all. In fact I got another (additional) amp to use in a funk band for that very reason. I've seen the EDT 13/29 described here on TGP as being like an RSA 23 with more headroom and less gain. Might suit your needs.....

Dave