How much did you pay to have your guitar re-fretted?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Radius, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Parlorman

Parlorman Silver Supporting Member

Just to make you all feel better, my last refret was $750. That was on a 1893 Martin 0-28 and used varying thickness bar frets to set the relief on the neck. It was actually a good deal.

Switters likes this.
  2. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

About 250. Strat necks, I think I paid 275 for the bound Gibson neck. Guy did probably 1/2 dozen refrets (some had been over due and I didn't know anyone) and a couple levels, over a few years.
    I'd drop it off in the late morning, pick it up around dinner time.
    Guy was good, used to make necks at Collings.

gaelicsolus likes this.
  3. unfunnyclown

unfunnyclown Member

I heard EVO gold can look good new but get an unpleasant color as it patinas. What is your experience?

4. theruley

theruley Member

When it comes to fret work, you get what you pay for.
    Don’t sell to the lowest bidder.

sunking101 likes this.
  5. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

OP, you need to call around or email shops you are strongly considering and get a complete out the door estimate for the job. If you opt for taller frets, you'll need a new nut and many shops have a base cost for the refret, and charge seperate and additional upcharges over that, and prices vary greatly.

I recently shipped my Custom Shop 60's Strat and R9 Les Paul to Philtone for refrets with JESCAR stainless steel 57110 jumbo frets, new bone nut, PLEK...

Strat cost = $475
    Les Paul cost = $525

I've had bad experiences with local shops in the past, so when it came time to refret I knew I was going to ship. I called around/emailed to most of the well regarded shops that get mentioned when these threads come up, and despite what you're reading here, I found most of the shops charge a significant upcharge for stainless steel frets ($100 additional upcharge over nickel silver was pretty common), and most charged extra for a new bone nut as well ($75- $80).

FWIW, just to illustrate how prices vary, when I inquired with Glaser & Tuttle I was quoted over $700 (gulp!) from both to refret my R9 with stainless.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020 at 11:58 AM
    Heinz W and Daren Anderson like this.
  6. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Member

Any recommendations for someone in the Minneapolis area?

7. Billyzoom1

Billyzoom1 Supporting Member

It still looks really good. I notice no discoloration, and I'm not the easiest guy on my guitars.

unfunnyclown likes this.
  8. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Scott has done 3 stainless steel refrets for me and all came out excellent. He's also done a few fret levels for me.
    His work is impeccable. Can't recommend him enough.

andyk likes this.
  9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm in the process of paying the PRS PTC $650 to refret my '86 Custom. I don't mind the cost but wish they'd do it already (this coming Wednesday will be 8 weeks!).

Funky Chicken likes this.
  10. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

$250.00 with rolled frets.

11. jturner

jturner Member

That "couple dollars more" stainless fretwire wears out my rather expensive specialty files at an alarming rate and it requires about 30% more effort (e.g. time) to polish to the same mirror finish. Thus, I charge $100 extra for stainless over nickel-steel.

MickeyJi likes this.
  12. mrpinter

mrpinter Supporting Member

The last refret I had done was for my custom acoustic, a number of years ago. I paid John Wescott of North Hollywood about $200 (maybe a little more, I don't remember exactly) for it. He used nickel frets and the guitar has a bound neck. John currently gets from $250 to $300 for refrets, and he is very good. The luthier doing all my work now, Randy Robinson of RWR Guitars, also in North Hollywood, is at least equally as good and charges a bit less than that for the same job; but I haven't needed a refret since I started using him. If you're anywhere near Los Angeles and need guitar work I highly recommend him.

13. Freedom

Freedom Member

About 280 eur for Jescar SS frets, maple nitro finished strat necks, didn't need a new nut (same height as the old frets), fret dressing, setup etc included.

14. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg I Drink and I Know Things. Silver Supporting Member

I had my 1992 PRS Custom 24 refretted with SS 6150 and that was $300 not including Plek and shipping to and from. That's about as close to OP's situation as I've had.

I do like to buy vintage instruments in need of a refret. It serves 2 purposes. First, it's a bargaining point when negotiating price. Secondly, I like vintage Teles but don't love vintage Fender frets. I like to have the 6230 sized frets replaced with 6105 to better suit me.

The shop I use is in Nashville(Joe Glaser and team at Glaser Instruments) is the best in the business in my experience.

15. Radius

Radius Supporting Member

Home of Les Paul, Lambeau Field , Harley Davidson

Thanks! Denny is on my list of people to contact. I'll check out the other suggestions you made as well.

16. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Mike Lull just passed. :(

17. Wmacky

Wmacky Member

Scared to hand my guitars over to anyone now, so I may have to learn refrets myself. I did only one time before, for a fret level. My new AS strat came back with razor blade slash marks deep into the fret board in several places. He was one of the local top guys, but I think he had his idiot new stooge do the level while on vacation. 20 years ago, and I still get mad everytime I look at it. I should get rid of it, as 20 years is a long tome for that pain.

18. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I bought a used Tele last year here on the Emporium. A maple board Wildwood 10 '55. The original owner had it refetted with SS 6105s, done by Phil Jacoby. An amazing job, no chips or marks in the finish; just beautiful work.

19. andyk

andyk Supporting Member

Wow! Their prices went up! It's good to return the guitar to the maker, and they do excellent factory work. My problem with them is they wont use SS.

20. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

:rotflmao