How much different do ASAT Specials and ASAT Classics sound from each other

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Laroosco!, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I've owned 2 ASAT Classics but have hardly any experience with the ASAT's with the big MFD's.

I plugged in one at a store last year, but there were no good amps to play it through plus the pickups were adjusted horribly out of balance.

I have a feeling that this isn't a fair representation of these guitars, but I haven't seen one at a store since.

Is there a huge difference in tone between these two guitars?

2. Rich

Rich Member

Yes.

The big MFDs are more akin to P90s style than to tele style sc pups.

Like the Classic pups, they're ceramic. But bigger, bolder and edgier.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I disagree. I feel they are similar to P-90s in appearance only. There really is no comparison, IMHO.

4. Rich

Rich Member

OK, you can disagree.

But I didnt say they sounded like P90s. I said they were closer to P90s than they were to standard tele pups. And they are. IMHO.

5. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I currently have an ASAT Classic, that I like a lot. I've been considering an ASAT Special or a Deluxe Nashville Tele. I use the middle position most of the time, and I've been wondering how three pickups would sound. Another alternative would be a four position switch in a Special or Classic.

Has anyone here tried a four position switch? I've played an american Tele with one, and it did sound very good.

6. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I reallt like the 4 way switch on a Tele. My last ASAT Classic had one and I'm considering doing it to my current one.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Laroosco! Where did you get the 4 way switch from? Last night I palyed a MIA Strat with custom wiring, next to my ASAT Classic. It did sound good, but not as good as my ASAT. I guess I'll forget looking for a Nashville Tele.

I haven't owned a Special, but from the ones I've played, the bridge pickup seemed about the same as the Classic, and the neck pickup seemed hotter like the bridge pickup.

8. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Here's one place you can get the 4 way.
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderswitches.htm

There is another place that sells them cheaper but I can't find the link right now.

I played a MIM Tele and a Hiway 1 Tele yesterday and IMO they don't hold a candle to my ASAT Classic. They still sounded pretty good though.

9. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

WARNING -- I have nothing to add to this thread... I just can't pass up an opportunity to use lots-o-acronyms.

I would say drop a PAF in the ASAT ASAP because the MFD is no BFD, FSF? Good... just slap that MF in your BFG and you'll be HTH for ALTTC.

Ok... I'm done.

10. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

your like a freakin rapper...god , i hate rap music though.....

11. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

The large MFDs are very hi-fi pickups (strong lows, mids, and highs) with a lot of output. I don't think they have much in common with standard tele pickups (not hi-fi, lower output) or P90 pickups (midrangey, medium output). While they might be closer to P90s, due solely to their higher output, they really aren't very similar. I'm not disagreeing with Rich, just trying to be clear about how they sound.

Bryan

12. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

I agree with BryanT on this. They don't get as dark as P90s. They are more like a Tele on steroids.

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

This is close to how I would define them, IMO much more similar to a Tele sound than a P90 sound. NOT THE SAME, however.

They are all over the Hellecaster's second CD. That big, round, twangy Tele sound is often an ASAT Special.