How much different does the Hardwire Metal pedal sound in person?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theGhost, Dec 20, 2009.

1. theGhost

theGhost Member

I don't have access to youtube or anything like that, so the only clips I've heard of this pedal are on their website, and I have to admit that I think that pedals sounds completely horrible. Yet I hear a bunch of people talking that pedal up like it's amazing. So what's so great about it? Sounds like a standard digitech "metal" stompbox pedal that is pretty digital and fake sounding. I had the x-series metal pedal for a while and NEVER used it. I bought it used b/c it was a good deal and ending up selling it because it was so bad. I also played one of their "death metal" pedals too and that thing was even worse. So what's the big deal about the hardwire series pedals?

2. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I think the problem with judging pedals is what you use to run it with and into. Depending on your setup it can be a lemon or the holy grail.

TL2 has a profound EQ feature that can really change things with a slight turn of the mids or treble. Very profound change. It can get nasaly (if that's a word) though. I have one but will probably sell it once my triple wreck comes in.

3. theGhost

theGhost Member

I see. well the demos they have on there sound SO bad that I can't imagine anyone hearing that and wanting to order it. seriously. it reminded me of the x-series pedal, and that thing always sounded like there was a blanket on top of the amp.

4. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Which demos? I'll listen to it and see if it sounds like mine.

edit: whoops... never mine. On their website, I'll check.

5. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Yep..lol that's the TL2. I don't know what kind of amp they were using though. Almost sounded like direct recording.

6. theGhost

theGhost Member

Are you saying that their site has demos which are pretty accurate then or no?

7. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Yeah that's what I'm saying. That's the TL2. And it does sound like a blanket over the amp, like they direct recorded into a mixer using a DI/cab sim.

8. theGhost

theGhost Member

ok... so if that's what the pedal sounds like through an amp too, why so much love for them? Obviously everyone has different tastes, but I usually can understand why someone likes something different than I do...

9. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I think the reverb, delay and chorus pedals get the most love on the Hardwire series.

10. theGhost

theGhost Member

Yea... I would agree with that, and I've also seen a considerable amount of love on the OD pedals as well, but there was enough on the metal that I just couldn't ignore it. I figured that surely in a place where people are going crazy over boutique pedals and such they had to have been hearing something different in person from the metal than what the website demos were showing. apparently I was wrong, and it just goes to show that social contagions are still rather prevalent.

11. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I don't know. Let's just say I can understand why you don't like it. I'm selling mine for a reason.

It does have a great EQ feature though. I'm not a metal player, just want access to a certain sound. TL2 doesn't have it. Hoping the triple wreck does.

12. theGhost

theGhost Member

what sound you looking for? for the most part I am generally unimpressed the sound of "metal" pedals, and that includes stuff the like Zvex Box of Metal which are supposed to be better. However, I find that a lot of "distortion" pedals have plenty of gain. Heck, the visual sound Hyde pedal can get there pretty easily. All this to say, I've never heard the latest flavors, like the triple wreck, suhr riot, menatone none more black, or the tonfreak severe. I will say that the PGS demo video I saw of the homebrew full metal jacket looked real impressive though for a pretty heavy sound.

13. peridot1

peridot1 Member

Tony Iommi type sound or close. Something that's not too grainy nor too muddy, (or nasally) with a convincing low end. I'm pretty much limited to going into a clean amp or direct. Can't explain but it's not possible at this stage for me to get the right amp. Have to go clean.

I will say I did see the suhr riot vid and that was nice. The wampler has been ordered already so I'm waiting. Too bad you can't see the youtube vid.

14. theGhost

theGhost Member

man... sounds like you need a modified marshall sound. I love the sound of those old Laneys he used to play through. I just bought a BYOC shredder for just that type of sound.