How much dirt does Keeley Katana have?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sleejay80, Jan 29, 2012.

1. sleejay80

sleejay80 Member

Say you're using an ultra-clean amp (ie Fender Twin),
    or even an SS amp (ie Roland JC-120),

How much dirt can the Keeley Katana provide,
    in gain-boost mode?

Some lower-gain ODs I have are: RC Booster, Fulldrive2, TS9.
    Can anyone give me a comparison based on these?​

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

depends totally on the amp and settings. on the clean boost (knob in), it pushes your amp to a bit of breakup if its already clean. sounds great.

If the amp is dirty already, it only pushes it further.

In the gain side (knob out) it works like any drive pedal, and can get quite dirty, but its ok. not awesome, the clean boost is awesome.

this is only what ive read, but ive seen a few times, that compared to the clean boost on a Klon, being a 10, the katana clean boost is an 8.

I never use the dirty side at all, so i cant really add much more to that.

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

Love my Katana, but have not pulled the knob since the first night I got it. As a Clean Boost it is VERY hard to beat.....SO transparent!!! I don't think it has much gain at all.

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Supporting Member

I also thought the Katana is a great great clean boost but did not like the added dirt function and thought it was a bit spendy for just a boost. Kind of was lost on me. Great pedal if you need high volume boost for driving the front of an amp.

Recently got a AC Booster which cleans up and is equally as nice as the Katana and you also get Bass, Treble and a dirt knob (great low gainer). Its sold as an overdrive but does a spectacular clean sound. When in that pure clean mode, it is much louder but maybe not as loud as the Katana boost.

I am also amazed at how well this stacks with other pedals and works in a solid stage amp (which is the real test of any dirt pedal).

I got it just to do something different then the timmy and it works better for me then timmy with my rig (Fender amp).

5. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Its pretty clean in either position. With a tube amp, however, I you crank it, it will slam your preamp tubes so hard it can get pretty dirty you can use you guitar volume to clean it up. Great pedal, by the way. Spent three years or more on my board, sometimes always on, sometimes as a volume boost. The knob out, to me, into an amp on the verge of breakup is magical. Adds just enough grit and chime to have a nice, transparent OD quality.

6. UncleBubba79

UncleBubba79 Member

I have one and love it with my Z-28. I kinda like it with the knob out too. Doesn't really add much hair, just kinda frizzes up what's already there.

Mind if I ask what bumped it from your board?

7. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Member

Well, I hate to disrupt a thread about such a great pedal. Just wanted to try something new. I've got a KOT, finally, and tought the clean boost side of the KOT might cover that base.

8. UncleBubba79

UncleBubba79 Member

Thanks, Whiskey.

To the OP, my TS9 has waaaay more gain than the Katana in gain-boost mode.