1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

How much discount would you ask for on two pedals worth over $700?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by effectsman, May 18, 2011.

1. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I am looking at buying two effects pedals with a combined value of well over $700. I am not sure on the mark up on pedals, and I don't want to do people out of a job in the stores here in Australia, and they are competitively priced compared to the price in US stores.

But how much would you ask for in % terms off a transaction of this kind?

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Ask what your comfortable asking.....all they can say is NO:munch

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Depends what you mean "well over". If they were 700, I'd offer 600 and see what they said. I would think 10 - 15% wouldn't be unreasonable. Some boutique guys won't let dealers discount though.

4. 66Park

66Park Member

That's true, and also the mark up on the boutique stuff can be considerably less than on non-boutique. Whereas a dealer might pay 50% of list for pedals from some of the bigger companies, he's probably paying closer to 70% for a pedal from a small boutique company, so there's not the profit margin to discount much even if the builder would allow it.

5. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

One of them is an Eventide pedal, and although they are popular right now, I would have thought the dealer had a fair bit of margin in them. But no-one seems to want to discount. But the combined sale I would have thought would warrant some discount. Thanks for the tips.

6. magnus02

magnus02 Member

buying 2 pedals, even if they are relatively expensive, doesn't give a TON of buying power... if i were the dealer i'd maybe give 5% off but honestly it's not like you're buying 3 guitar amps or something...

it's always in your best interest to try and get a bargain, but don't insult and offer too too low... i'd offer $650 for $700 worth of pedals