How much do Gibson SG Customs run for?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by the_Chris, Feb 13, 2006.

1. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm G.A.S.ing for a Gibson '61 RI LP/SG Custom and I was wondering what price range I should shoot for. I've saved plenty of money for it (thanks to two folks on here in particular that made it possible by purchasing two guitars of mine). Do they routinely sell for more than most Historics?

Thank you to anyone who can school me on the cost of these things. :)

2. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

3. the_Chris

Wow... I've been on the site before and I just realized they have a forum :jo

Thanks a lot for the info :dude

4. morgan

morgan Guest

SG customs certainly aren't cheap. You can get a used one for around 2k, give or take. Just to get you going, here's mine. It's a 2000 with aged nickel hardware.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

That's a sweet guitar man. :D

I love the nickel hardware. Too many times I see the gold, which I think it ruins it, but that's just me.....

6. the_Chris

Oh man, you're killing me!!! That thing's absolutely killer :BOUNCE

I'm going to be patient and try to snatch a good one like yours for around 2k... now to play the waiting game ;) There's no doubt in my mind... that's my dream guitar!!!

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Makes me think of the late, great Ollie Halsall:

[​IMG]

8. morgan

morgan Guest

Thanks guys. I had been on the lookout for one for awhile, but I was having trouble getting over the vegas gold action. Then one day, purely by accident I stumbled on that one hanging used in a store. There was no way I was leaving without it. I'm still paying it off actually, but it was worth every cent. I don't think they made too many of those, mine actually has a '61 serial #, little remnants of PAF stickers, the hardware is aged nicely. The guy in the store had no idea what year it was. I didn't really care, figuring i was getting a good deal no matter what it was, I just bought it and emailed Gibson when I got home. For awhile I had myself worked up that it was actually vintage (even though the fretboard didn't feel vintage at all). But Gibson told me what it was. I've had it about a year, and I've hardly played anything else since (and I've got some pretty sweet other guitars). The thing is pure magic.

9. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Man, I've been G.A.S.ing for one of these for years, never too hard, but have always dug them. I've seen a few gold ones on Ebay through the years go for like $1800, and a vintage dealer from my home town in Toledo, OH had one for $1500, but it was right after I bought my LP Standard for the same price, should of just done a trade right then, oh well. Great guitars, I will own one someday, oh yes, she will be mine. :D

10. SFK

SFK Member

I liked those mustard yellow ones from the early 90s.