How much do I want to spend on a Fulltone 69

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gibsonsg73, Feb 10, 2012.

1. gibsonsg73

gibsonsg73 Supporting Member

With all the fuzz faces I've been through I've never tried a Fulltone 69. Considering the massive price difference between the big box and new one I'm wondering what the opinion is here. No doubt this was discussed to death when the new one came out but 69 doesn't work well with the search function (I realize the first 5 posts will be to learn to use it). My gut says the high price of the originals is purely one of those TGP-isms but if anyone can chime in with some real experience that would be awesome.

2. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

The problem with the Fulltone '69 is that they are truly hit and miss. Apparently some, no, many of them are magic. But I went through 3 and hated them all (on the other hand, the Soulbender is fantastic). So my answer is, don't buy one unless you can try it.

3. gibsonsg73

Thanks. I figured they follow the "no 2 sound alike" law of germanium FF's. Is there honestly any reason though why I should give some guy on eBay $400 for his original when a new one is just $170 away?

4. willyboy

willyboy Member

I have an older big box 69 and yeah it's a nice pedal. I also have a Sunface that is slightly different but is also a great pedal. I will agree that there are certainly going to be variations especially with Germanium fuzzes, but I can't see my older 69 being that much better than a new small box version of the pedal. Fulltone has some fairly high build standards and quality control so the new one is in my opinion probably just as good. For $170 you can't go wrong, or if you want something a bit more custom go with Analogman or other. To me $400 is too much for that pedal and I own one, hard to believe that's what someone's asking in this current economy but there will no doubt be a buyer. It's really a case of supply and demand - the unobtanium factor. If I had $400 to spend on a fuzz I'd go with the Sunface instead and save yourself some money.

5. gibsonsg73

I've got a Sunface now, my 4th one actually. I'm a fuzz face junkie and figured its time for me to finally try one of the staples. Check out eBay though, there were some crazy ones there last time I checked. In fact the last one I saw in the emporium was $350.

6. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

7. strombie

strombie Member

the 69 is my next pedal. let the fundraising commence.

8. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

I got my 69 MK11 today an honestly it's my favorite purchase of the last 10 or 12 pedal's. I have a Scarab Deluxe[well for a little while yet] and it is a great pedal. But the germanium is much warmer ,milder than SD but you can get so many tones from it. Great cleanup and it sure seem's pretty stable,pretty darn quiet. On a major G fuzz gas now gotta get a Sunface Red Dot. ASAP>

9. gibsonsg73

Incase anyone out there reading this has one they want to part with PM me.

10. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I paid $275 here on TGP for a big box 69 and now that I own it can honestly say its worth $300-350 a magical sounding fuzz for sure

11. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

How does the 69 compare to the newer red Dunlop fuzz face?

12. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

I'll never understand why someone would pay $400 for a '69SR when the same exact pedal can be had in a smaller enclosure for $169 or less?! Am I missing something here?

I have an original smooth paint '69 that I paid $110 for right before they were discontinued and it sounds amazing but $400 amazing? If the prices keep going up I might just pick up a MKII and put the old one on eBay.

13. gibsonsg73

Exactly what I was hoping to get to the bottom of. Case in point, there's a 69SR in the emporium as we speak for $400....

14. TrainBridge

TrainBridge Member

You want to spend normal street ($169 I believe) for a new mkII one or maybe slightly less if it's used. Since they are so "hit and miss" so to say why not start with the less expensive option? I have an original big box and love it.

15. dacula789

dacula789 Member

Go with a small box for $170, (save your money) I've played all variations of the 69 and the small box has it all.

16. gibsonsg73

Yeah, I have no intention to give anybody $400 for one ever. I just wanted to understand the mentality.

17. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

But the small box is ugly

18. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

I actually prefer the look of the small box.

19. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The SRs are probably more special than the others. I had my brother in laws here for a while, and had a chance to compare it to my mid-90s Analogman Modded Dunlop, which sounds absolutely killer. It was a wash! I've owned a big box 69 and it was OK, but it wasn't as good as the SR.

That said, I'd be more than happy with the small box. And if I weren't super happy with the first one I got, I'd sell it and keep trying till I found the magic one...

20. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Well there's 215 or so Slight Returns and 1000s (??) original 69s. Having said that, isn't the MkII the same guts or same transistors as the SR? I'm not sure, but it'd be interesting to see in 10 years time whether the SR are more coveted than the originals.