How much do the OCD versions vary?

weedzzz

I recently got hold of and OCD v1.4 and love it

before I’d played a real one, the only thing OCD related I tried was the model in the Helix and Amplitube and couldn’t get a decent usable sound out of them but absolutely love the real thing, it sounds like what I’ve been looking for

At the risk of going down an OCD rabbit hole, I’m curious about how much the versions differ. Is it very minimal difference? I’m assuming they’re all in a very similar ball park?

wiltel24

I recently got hold of and OCD v1.4 and love it

before I’d played a real one, the only thing OCD related I tried was the model in the Helix and Amplitube and couldn’t get a decent usable sound out of them but absolutely love the real thing, it sounds like what I’ve been looking for

At the risk of going down an OCD rabbit hole, I’m curious about how much the versions differ. Is it very minimal difference? I’m assuming they’re all in a very similar ball park?
You can check this out: (demo doesn't include the GE one that came out recently).

Ramblin390

I have the 1.4 and like it quite a bit. I had and sold the 1.1 which I thought was great. I thought that 1.3 was bass way

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve found all of them too bloaty in the bass frequencies except for the very first two versions...the 1.1 and 1.2 (not to be confused with 2.0), I’ve tried all the rest. Those two are perfect, the 1.2 has a little bit more compression than 1.1, but otherwise they’re nearly identical. The 1.7 is very nice also, but still a little flubby in the bass with the gain up.

Jabby92

They all vary slightly. I find it works best through a brighter amp due to the low end fullness. Also I would not judge the OCD at bedroom level, its really a pedal that shines at higher volumes from my experience at least on its own. I have 2.0 and personally love it but I use bright pickups, bright guitars and also stack it with a Tumnus pushing the mids and treble up and cutting the bass back some. The Enhanced Bypass mode makes a big difference on the 2.0, its one of my favourite features ever put in the pedal.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
My OCD $0.02

V1.1 and V1.2 are very similar. I think I preferred the V1.1 just a slight bit more. They both are very Marshall-like and are EQ'd perfectly. React awesome to guitar volume. Cut through a band mix like no other. I have owned V1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 at the same time and now currently own two (practically mint) V1.1's. I can ride my guitar's tone and volume knob with nothing other than the V1.1 and carry an entire varied gig. I read that there can be issues with buffers which might affect wahs or fuzzes negatively. For just an OD into an amp, it's just a great pedal.

The V1.3 is decent. Not as Marshall-like (less edge/bite) and has more bass. Perhaps more pleasant for lower gain than the V1.1 and V1.2. Less mids than the V1.1 and 1.2 but still a great pedal. Good stacker.

V1.4-1.7 Essentially the same pedal between 1.4-1.7. More bass than ever and EQ'd more flat. On its own, totally neutered in a band mix compared to the predecessors. Doesn't sound horrible, but once you try the others, in comparison, it is more congested and doesn't have as much "bite".

V2.0 Absolute garbage. Too much bass. Totally flat EQ. No bite. None of the magic that any of the predecessors have. Shouldn't even be called an OCD, imo. People who like theirs, good for you. It's cool that they addressed the buffer issue, but there are countless other buffered pedals that sound better than this one.

Side note: I used to carry a V1.1 (with a new battery) as a backup for my Kingsley Constable (plexi preamp), which I gig with. I blew a tube in my Constable once mid gig and the V1.1 carried me through the end and it was almost as sweet. Nowdays, I keep a RevivalDrive Compact as my backup, which can be in the neighborhood as all three, but like the Constable, has some more options EQ-wise to tailor to the gig.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
They all share the same voice, but vary slightly in the frequencies they target. I preferred 1.3, but honestly, sold them all eventually b/c there were better options.

blackbird

I wonder why someone makes a good pedal and then changes it making a worse version.

Last edited:

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Good OCD overview. Makes sense. Just minor notes.
V1.4-1.7 Essentially the same pedal between 1.4-1.7. More bass than ever and EQ'd more flat. On its own, totally neutered in a band mix compared to the predecessors. Doesn't sound horrible, but once you try the others, in comparison, it is more congested and doesn't have as much "bite".
V.1.4 uses different clipping engine with Ge diode. It was discontinued in the following versions. So v.1.4 is quite different. But v.1.5-v.1.7 are as close as it gets. Once I had a chance to make a part-2-part comparison of my v.1.6 and borrowed v.1.7. I failed to find any difference. :)
V2.0 Absolute garbage. Too much bass. Totally flat EQ. No bite. None of the magic that any of the predecessors have. Shouldn't even be called an OCD, imo. People who like theirs, good for you. It's cool that they addressed the buffer issue, but there are countless other buffered pedals that sound better than this one.
Agree. I'd just add that recent Ge OCD (May 2019) seems to be based on the OCD v.2.0 (June 2017) and naturally inherits its qualities.

sickboy79

You can check this out: (demo doesn't include the GE one that came out recently).

I was just going to recommend a video like this. I've only ever played a friends 1.4, liked it quite a bit. I also hear the Ge version is pretty cool as well.

Social Exodus

Lone Wolf
I've had V1.2 on my board since the day I got it back in 2006. Never saw a reason to look at V1.3 onward myself.

Trending Topics