How much do you care about fret size when picking a guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by amigo30, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

How much do I care about fret size when picking a guitar?

Not a bit. If a guitar has jumbo frets, I can play it. If a guitar has medium frets, I can play it. If it has narrow vintage teeny-weeny frets, I can play it.

As far as I'm concerned, full re-fret jobs are for clearly worn-out frets. I don't consider it an option like changing string gauge or changing picks. I can't imagine going through life with such an unnecessary, self-imposed burden as having to factor in the potential cost of a re-fret every single blasted time I look at a guitar. If the miniscule difference in fret size or profile is enough to throw a player off their game or make them sound like a beginner, I'd say they need to spend more time practicing and less time obsessing. Maybe try a variety of different guitars along the way.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

my humble depot of 4 guitars have similar feeling necks, similar feeling frets, similar board radius. i couldn't tell you what size the frets were on any of them. not vintage though. i have never really liked skinny frets and after one redress they are awful for me to get along with.

3. fitz

fitz Member

I am really adaptive to most types of neck shapes, radius, and fret size. I have various guitars with all types of specs. The only guitar I had an issue with was with a used G&L ASAT Semi Hollow Special. It had a 7.25 radius and medium jumbo frets which I thought was an interesting combination. Well the frets were so high it felt like I was playing on rail road ties. I was befuddled. But I took it to my luthier and he did a wonderful fret job, and it is one of the smoothest guitars I play. The combo of the medium jumbo's and the 7.25 radius is perfect. I'm not sure if G&L QC was off that day, but the original frets w/o the work was real tough to play.

4. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I can't play vintage size frets.

Medium jumbo, jumbo and x-jumbo for me only.

wox likes this.
  5. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Member

Essential. I have my hands on these things every day. They need to feel good. No point in owning an uncomforable instrument that stays in the case.

6. wox

wox Supporting Member

For any guitar I want to hang on to, I'll refret with Jescar 58118-S wire.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.
  7. monty

monty Member

It used to be a factor when deciding what to buy for me, but through the years I realised I can get used to anything.
    That said I prefer a certain size, but it is not a deal breaker.

8. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Medium jumbos are fine to me with SS since they never shrink. Otherwise, jumbo to ESP style extra jumbo please. :cool:

9. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

Frets ARE the guitar to me. If a guitar is in immediate need of refretting, its value just dropped by $400 in my eyes for refretting. However, I will still buy such a guitar if very rare or otherwise desirable.

Frets were the last obstacle for budget imports to overcome to make them worth buying. In recent years, they've done it. The materials, hardware/pickups, necks and frets are now EXCELLENT on most MIM guitars. :cool:

MGT likes this.
  10. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

No more Mosrites for me, thanks.

11. Mad Wombat

Mad Wombat Member

6150 is preferred, stainless if I can get it.
    I had one with jumbos and was never totally happy with it.

12. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

Tall for me. 6100, 6105 or the Warmoth SS 6115.
    I can’t believe people have no opinion on what is essentially the playing surface of the guitar.
    I have never heard of a runner who didn’t care what shoes he had......

woof* likes this.
  13. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

47104 or 47095 for me.

14. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

i have a fairly light touch so fret size isn't that big of a deal to me. have yet to come across something that gave me any real problems. might take a few minutes to adjust but that's about it.

15. 00JETT

00JETT Member

Generally, if a guitar plays good in my hands that's all I worry about, I don't spend a lot of time mulling over the details. However, when I build partscasters and get to choose the spec I tend to always go with 6105s and the odd time 6150s.

16. amigo30

amigo30 Member

I'm surprised at this as well.

This is a site where 3 oz too heavy and the guitar is a no-go, and everyone has strong opinions on things from finish to how the 9-volt batteries in their pedals sound. I'm
    surprised so many people aren't that particular about the feel of the actual part they play on. Not there's anything wrong with that, but it's surprising.

The more I play, the pickier I get about everything about the neck. I know what feels right to me.

17. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Given my druthers, medium jumbo. Sans druthers, whatever.

18. BEACHBUM

BEACHBUM Member

Don't care about fret size, board radius, neck profile or scale length. Guess I'm just an insensitive kind of guy.

19. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Is this a case of "more skills = less care" about fret size? I've got jumbos one one, med-jumbo on another. I like the lower fret. The jumbos are so tall that when I slide up a string, my finger snags and gets stuck on the taller ones, like speedbumps. I understand that's my lack of skills, not the fret size though. I played a Fender Roadhouse Special or something that had narrow-talls. Most annoying fret ever.

20. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

I hate bending and feeling the drag of the fretboard under my fingers so I won’t even look at a guitar with medium frets. I’ve sold every one that I’ve tried.

RicardoDiazHimself likes this.