how much do you practice

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by brothertupelo, Dec 24, 2009.

1. brothertupelo

brothertupelo Senior Member

on average per day? or whatever schedule you're on.

2. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

at least one hour...there are days I play for 5 (usually 9pm - 2am) hours...some days just one, some days I miss....but it probably averages 1 hour a day

3. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I'm a non-gigging player... full time engineer with a family. I manage about 30-60 mins a day if I'm lucky... or not assembling a Strat.

4. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

I try to get in an hour...tired old dog trying to learn new tricks, that's about the minimum to do any good.

There's the commute, though, and household stuff and general repairs, and cats and and and, so if I'm lucky I'll average about 45 min a day. Not good.

Long ago, I'd practice my vocal maybe 4 hours a day, at least, and then do the night's sets, that's what it takes to maintain quality and advance. At least for me.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

About 4-6 hours a day. I'm trying to play more though, these days. I'm a fulltime musician so I figure I should play 8 hours a day, just like anyone else who puts in an 8 hour day at work

6. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I play every day. I practice about 1-1.5 hours daily, depending on gigs.

DS

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. southernblues

southernblues Member

8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I do not play or practice nearly enough.

9. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I don't.

I don't gig at the moment and i'm writing.

I do rehearse parts before I record but it's not a schedule.

I do play the guitar and write daily. But I couldn't call it practice.

10. TuftySpoon

TuftySpoon Member

During breaks from school i fit in 8 hrs of ear training, chops practice, songwriting, etc. I dont reccommend straight playing for 8 hrs as it will DESTROY your hands and isnt that beneficial musically speaking

11. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

No practice for me. I do try to play everyday. Some times I only have 10 minutes, other times its for 5-6 hours straight. I love to just start playing and let the moment lead to the next, like an unknown destination on a magical journey. Other days it might be backing tracks and struggling with vocals. Others, its playing along with the Ipod or a drum machine. But always, its my own thing, or my interpretation of a song, vibrating into decay, for nothing more, than the joy of making music. If thats practice then I do it all the time. If practice is endlessly running over scales and modes or some other type of rote memorization that involves no heart or soul, than NO, I never practice.

12. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

4-5 hrs M-F, 2 hrs on Saturday and Sunday night. This has been my schedule since I was at music school. I break it up like this...

I wake up early in the morning and do an intense 2 hr regimen that consists mainly of scales, chords, and arpeggios. It's all about technique and rudiments. It changes daily and each area I cover I impose strict time limits. I try and keep it as efficient as possible. When I come home from work, I do another 2 hours consistsing of reptoire/sight reading as well as writing and improvising. This sometimes runs longer than 2 hours depending on how wrapped up I get into what I'm doing.

I used to be a serial noodler, and started to notice I wasn't getting any better. I'd just pick up the guitar noodle on some scales and play some chords for a few hours. I eventually said "enough" and got really serious about what and HOW I was practicing. I now chart my progress, and am always adding stuff to my regimen. It keeps things orderly and exciting for me.

13. Dexter.Sinister

Technical exercises. Scales. Chord melodies. Improvisation. Composition. Reading. Theory.

DS

14. brothertupelo

let's just make it easy and say total time on an instrument.

15. brothertupelo

since i started the thread, i'm going to define it as total time on an instrument, and not differentiate it. any attempt to define it will leave out too much, imo. for instance, what you wrote leaves out practicing songs, learning songs, ear training, transcribing, and i'm sure a lot more.

16. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

Normally 2 hours a day. If I am learning parts for a recording, tour, or fill in gig, however long it takes.

17. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i don't actually practise, per sé, as much as i could, or as i might do.

i do write &/or play nearly every day.
    sometimes i take breaks from the guitar, during which i really do not want to play, at all;
    that might be for a day or 2, or for a few weeks.
    as well, i play more than one instrument, so..... i'm often switching between them.

dt / spltrcl

18. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

I've amassed so many backing tracks as well created some myself in addition to songs I've written that I'd have to say practice the last couple of years has expanded my playing the most in the last 25 years. Having songs in different styles, key signatures , tempos etc on hand with the click of a mouse is such a powerful tool. I do miss playing with other musicains which I do still do from time to time. That has it's own benefits as well. I do find that I have to remind myself to practice rythym more since it's so hard for me not to just create melodies or solo. I also revisted keyboard playing in the last couple of years and that helps my ear as well. Actually recording songs on the DAW in general has been a great learning tool since I'm a loner and play the Bass, Keys & guitar. Such great tools we have nowadays.

19. Dexter.Sinister

Breaks are welcome. Sometimes it rekindles my love for strings.

DS

20. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I play gigs and practice a little here and there. I need to get more consistent.