How much does a pedal have to be worth to keep you from gigging with it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shark_bite, Dec 26, 2009.

1. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Now that the Klon is supposedly going to shoot up in value, I find myself wondering if I should let go of it and get a Tim or a Screwdriver instead, just so I don't have to worry about theft at gigs.

On the other hand, I was hoping to put it on a new PT Mini. It's not unreasonable to keep your Mini on your person at all times before and after you're using the pedals on stage...

EDIT: OK PEOPLE ARE MISSING THE POINT HERE. We're talking about something that shoots up in value suddenly. I gig with my Klon all the time, but if things go totally nuts value-wise, I'm wondering if I should stop bringing it out eventually.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I don't even care...I refuse to buy something if I won't gig with it...

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Word!

4. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Exactly.

(And I don't use pedals anyway.)

5. kriko71

kriko71 Supporting Member

Put your Klon inside a black box and nobody will know it's an expensive pedal...
    (from left to right: Klon, Fulltone '69 and Zvex Seek Wah)

[​IMG]

6. 6789

6789 Member

So it's O.K. if I come to your show and steal your Tim or Screwdriver? :drink

Play the Klon. anyone who knows what a klon is isn't going out to shows! ha ha :roll

I play with a honey bee and no one knows what it is. at best someone might ask if it's a home made pedal. just keep an eye on your gear. don't leave it sitting around out of your site.

7. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I do gig with my Klon. I'm just starting to wonder if it might not be as good an idea if the resale value continues to get even stupidly higher than it already is. Given that Bill just discontinued the pedal, that seems like the only likely way the prices are going to go...

8. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Supporting Member

Sounds like there is a market for a pedal board with built-in pedal locks. And also a 100-lb weight so it's hard to just walk off with the whole board. :)

Or maybe a line of super-boutique pedal boards that so expensive that you won't worry as much about the pedals?

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I can't imagine why I would buy a pedal if I wasn't going to gig with it. I have been using two Landgraff pedals on my gigging board that total about $900 for the past several years. I do sometimes worry about people spilling beer on them when we are on a low stage or on the floor, but again, why own them if I'm not going to use them. I guess for recording, but that is a small amount of my playing time compared to live playing.

10. Slow Revolution

Slow Revolution Member

I would use any pedal no matter what. My old rig cost close to 20k when touring a lot. I didn't worry about it. Sure if something got stolen I would have been gutted but I just think pedals, guitars, amps, whatever are for playing and enjoying. If I had a Klon, I'd still be using it live if it was integral to my sound.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  11. yabasta

yabasta Member

you think someone is gonna know your jamming a Klon?

I don't think your crowd is the peeps from gearpage, plus i think we might be decent folks...

12. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Yep, me too

13. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Like I said, I'm personally not as concerned about it... others keep bringing it up in the "Klon discontinued" threads. If it's standalone, it's usually with me while I'm playing or not. If it's on the board, the board is with me whether I'm playing or not.

I doubt anyone sees it, identifies it as a Klon, and steals it. What's much more likely is someone sees it, identifies it as something light and easy to slip under a coat and potentially valuable. Goes home, looks it up on ebay, and realizes THEN that they've hit the jackpot.

14. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

It's not so much how much it costs for me, as to whether it's replaceable.
    I have a D.A.M. Ezekiel that I've taken off my board, mostly 'cause I just use it too sporadically, but also 'cause I know I'm screwed if it gets swiped.

But like someone said, I have an eye on my gear all the time. Makes mingling with the groupies a little harder though... :(

We should do a gear vs. groupies thread: how many groupies does it take to get you away from your pedals...? :D

15. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Actually, a rather attractive groupie found herself rather fascinated by the Klon in my bag and sat and played with it for a while before I set up at my gig on Tuesday :)

She asked me to explain what/why, all that stuff. What made it different from the Zen2, etc. So I went totally TGP on her for about 30 seconds and then she was like "I like this one better. The button has a better snap to it when I push it."

Heh....

16. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I just received my Klon. Im going to gig with it. I bought it brand new, so that is what is worth to me. I bought it to use it.

I just have to keep an eye on my gear.

17. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The price of a pedal has nothing to do whether I use or like it.

18. 540ok1

540ok1 Member

So, pedals are usually purchased for 2 purposes, live and studio. I know some who purchase for "bedroom use", but hopefully not the somewhat expensive pedals we are speaking of here in this thread. I could not imagine paying for expensive pedals and not utilizing them for the sound, live or studio. If one has to ask the question, maybe they don't need the pedal.

19. 6789

6789 Member

keep it at home for recording.

20. gregc

gregc Member

It's just a pedal. Get a grip.