How much does Blackface Deluxe Reverbs go for?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TGF, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TGF

TGF Member

Still looking for that perfect blues-rock strat amp. I made a thread about the Dr. Z MAZ 18, and ultimately, I guess that's what I'm going for. HOWEVER, I would like to know what a realistic price I ought to pay for a real blackface deluxe reverb. I'm not very well versed in vintage amp pricing, which is why I need help.
    Anyone? :eek:

2. m@2

m@2 Member

There is a pretty huge price range on these as there are so many factors. If you are talking everything original (speaker, transformers, circuit, grill cloth etc.) in good condition,they can get into the 2000-2500 range (mint ones can go even higher). You might also take a look at early silverface DR's (1968-early 70's era) as they sound basically the same and can be found for half the prive of the "real" blackface ones. Great amps, good luck in your search!

3. TGF

TGF Member

Yeah, that is an awful lot. Especially since the Danish state slaps on a 25% tax on everything going in. However, a real blackface DR does look very very appealing.

Other comments?

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Nope, that's about the right price range. The crazy thing is that the Blackface Princeton Reverbs are getting into the $2K range too, since the reissue came out this year. The Secret is Out.

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

For eBay average prices, you can check CodeKinesis

6. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

you can get them from $1600 - $2500 depending on condition and originality. Also due the market fluctuality with peoples money you might see them dropping in price cause of needed cash over vintage amp

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Today, a great one would probably be $2.5K. Tomorrow, $2.3K. Next week, $1.9K. A year from now, $1.5K.

That's probably overly pessimistic, but I do expect to see the market for vintage guitars/amps drop quite a bit as people start to sell off their toys.

Bryan

8. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Unfortunately, the man speaks the truth. Almost whatever you pay today, it will be worth less in the not too distant future.

But the pleasure factor from a BFDR covers the cost amortization pretty fast.

9. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

I bought a 66 DR, And after playing boutique after boutique, I gotta say, what a timeless classic it is, even with its imperfections, its just killer, Super spanky vibro channel, touchy with pedals but I refuse to clip the bright cap,
    its just so 3d and airy,
    The normal channel loves od pedals, and just has more mids in the right spot
    for them, and the topend is clipped just perfectly for od pedals,
    Just a nice light toneful package,
    The only light small combo I like more is a Tweed Super, just by a hair. An eansy weansy one at that.

Bigtone

10. ozspawn

ozspawn Member

I agree with Bigtone.

My '66 DR is magical: so sweet and airy with an abundance of spank.

It has the TONE.

Get one now!

11. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Cool, I'll just wait a while before I buy one. :)

12. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

I bought a beater for less than $1500 two or three months ago. A '67. All original, just beat - rips in grill cloth and tolex. I'm more of a player than collector.

It remains to be seen how well mint vintage gear holds up. It's been booming the last 5-10 years, imo. But, I think a lot of it has to do with baby boomers hitting retirement and wanting the gear from their youth. Add to that the stock market rally of the dot com era where some people made a LOT of money (and some people lost a LOT of money).

I think the bottom is going to drop out in 5-10 years as the baby boomers can no longer play with their toys as much (sorry to be morbid). Just my opinion.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I saw the BFs topping off at 3k and found an excellent SF for 1/3 of that so I'd encourage you to look at a SF ... these days I'd say the ranges mentioned above sound right but you don't have to pay that for great tone.
    jc

14. TGF

TGF Member

Thanks a bunch for all the comments! I have a bonus question. What sort of problems with a 40+ years amp are to be considered? Are there any aging parts that make up its sound which is NOT easily replaced?

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'll believe it when I see it. I think vintage prices for Fenders are related to costs of a modern equivelant and as a result I don't see mint BFDRs going for $1,500 in a store ever, but time will tell.

I'd get one with a torn grill cloth or replacement speaker (there are many speaker options better than the original anyway)...that should put you in the $1,500-$1,600 range.
    All are easily replaced, some not so cheaply.

16. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I doubt you'll see a clean blackface Deluxe Reverb drop down to the $1500. range. A good clean vintage piece will always appreciate in value due to supply and demand. If I see that kind of drop I'll be the first to but two.

17. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

There was a clean one for sale near me a couple of months ago for $1500. Guy implied he'd take less. I tried to get the money but failed.:messedup

18. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Well.......let's share the info

19. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Like I said in my original post, "That's probably overly pessimistic, but I do expect to see the market for vintage guitars/amps drop quite a bit as people start to sell off their toys."

If you are watching the vintage guitar/amp market you are seeing a lot of items dropping in price, often dramatically. The Les Paul Juniors/Specials that I've been keeping an eye on have dropped considerably.

Bryan

20. TGF

TGF Member

There are a few on ebay, but they are very expensive. I guess I'd drop 2k if I was given the chance, but 2.3 and 2.9 is a little too much for me, and DR prices in general, if I can trust the link posted earlier in the thread!