How much does fender's scratch plate design affect the sound of their guitars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paulscape, Oct 15, 2008.

1. paulscape

paulscape Member

Im just wondering...so many times Ive played a guitar with single coil pickups (and they might be very good pups) but it never seems to sound much like a strat or how a single coil should sound. A lot of guitars like Ibanez fall into this category and often, even if they have a scratch plate or same body shape and woods, they are rear loaded. Im wondering why it seems only a strat/tele or good strat/tele copy ever gets that stratty sound? Is it to do with the body cavities, top loaded pickups and scratch plate?

2. Marcel

Marcel Member

The role of the Strat scratchplate is hardly ever mentioned here...very strange.

3. mg550

mg550 Supporting Member

I think having the pickups suspended above the cavities in a plastic pickguard has a major effect on the sound of the instrument. It's definitely part of what makes a Strat sound like a Strat.

I've played some "Strat-style" guitars that have the pickups mounted to the body. They sound nice, but they don't have the same airy type sound that a real Strat has.

4. ghost

ghost Member

am i just stupid? whats a scratch plate? pickguard?:dunno

5. JamesT

JamesT Senior Member

yep. mine gas gold anaodized. anaodized adds brightness to sound....

6. cnardone

cnardone Member

I think the guard as a lot to do with it. How can it not? If we can hear the difference between solid woods, how can a thin piece of suspended plastic (instead of wood) not effect the sound? To take that even further I think the guard is the main reason there are many people on this board that swear by swimming pool route or non swimming pool route. The guard (just like any top) is going to vibrate differently depending on the support/ bracing underneath.

7. Marcel

Marcel Member

...with the swimming pool routing creating some sort of semihollow body, is that what you're saying?
    So what about a Strat scratchplate made out of Maple, Spruce, Ebony, etc. I think these are the first ever posts about the Strat scratchplate and it's role regarding tone shaping.