how much does grill cloth affect tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 4711shaun, Apr 9, 2008.

1. 4711shaun

4711shaun Guest

i've tried searching but can't get a lot of info on this...

i wondering if removing the grill cloth is going to open up the sound of my amp.. i just use it for recording so i don't have to worry about damaged speaker cones...

i have a 2004 badcat CubIIr which appears to have a heavy grill cloth on it...

the cab is open backed and the speaker is a custom celestion vintage 30 (if someone knows the differene between this and a regular v30 i'd appreciate knowing)

when i sit behind it the tone is much clearer in the highs and lows but scooped in the mids... when in front its muddier and sounds very mid-rangy and kind of choked/muffled.. like the sound doesn't breath as much as it does when compared to the rear...

i realise the characteristics of the speaker are contributing to this but how much is the grill cloth to blame for the choked/muffled sound? it looks like a lot of grief to remove it on this amp so maybe i should get another box.. maybe the speaker is the problem..

anyone have experience playing around with this.. badcats in particular ?

thanks,
    Shaun.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Some amps it will make a difference, but I don't know if it will affect the BadCat that much. Just out of curiousity, are the speakers wired correctly?

3. 4711shaun

4711shaun Guest

there's only one in there so i'd hope so!

people say the v30 is very midrangy and maybe that's the problem, but i suspect the grill cloth offers a protective/decorative benifit and probably hinders sound quality quite a bit.. i doubt it's transparent sonically... i think i'll get a box made up with no grill and start trying differnet speakers in it to sort it out once and for all...

4. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I don't know what the eq is like on the Cub II, but on my HC30 I found getting both treble and bass around to about 3 o'clock , and then making small adjustments from there just brought it alive. I found it a bit the way you desribe before that, now it is very lively and sparkly.

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Most grill cloth today is fairly transparent.

One speaker can also be wired in reverse, meaning the speaker will be pulling sound rather than pushing. It will still make sound, but it can sometimes create odd tonal issues.

6. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

0%

There was a thread a while back (-2 years or so) exploring the "sounds like someone threw a blanket over the amp" and it turned out that even putting a blanket over the speaker didn't alter the tone perceptibly.

7. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

no,it doesn't affect it appreciably...

Pykl likes this.
  8. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to go with "negligible"... unless you're using, say, a horse blanket... ;)

9. 4711shaun

4711shaun Guest

that's interesting.. i would have thought it would be like lifting the proverbial veil so to speak... at the very least i thought the cloth would take out some highs and dull it a bit...

violetlove... i notice a similar thing.. with the treble at about 3 o'clock it sparkles right up and the mids scoop out removing the boxiness and it sounds it's best.. it sounds better in some ways when you stand behind it and i thought i could blame that on the grill cloth affecting the clarity... when standing behind the amp the highs and lows are very pure.. not even close when standing in front... just mids, mids and more mids...

thanks for the responses..

10. trazan

trazan Member

It would, had it been a fullrange speaker. That 12" in the guitar cab doesn't go higher than 6kHz or thereabouts, so there's nothing up there for the blanket to take away :cool:

11. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

For recording, I'd definitely mess with micing in front and back of the amp if you haven't already.

You could try a different speaker in there, maybe an H30 instead of the V30ish bad cat speaker. An H30 sounds like it'd maybe give a little more of what you want to hear.

12. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Hah! Try telling that to Eric Johnson...

13. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

I think any change the grillcloth makes can be overcome with the amp's EQs, Brite/Presence and High Cut (if equipped) controls. I'm not cutting up that diamond cloth, that's for sure. :)

14. kimock

kimock Member

Flip the wires on that speaker. . .

The only grill cloth stuff that I ever used that seemed to attenuate the high end a little is that woven black Mesa stuff on my single 15 JBL ext. cabs.
    Probably a good thing with those JBL's!;)

peace

15. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I used to think "none" but I took the grill cloths off of my DRRI and peavey classic 30 and had them "keeley" modded...like night and day..pure tone blissfulness...!!! :)

;)