"How much does it Weigh?" Really!?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Josey, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Josey

Josey Supporting Member

I get asked this question every time I sell a guitar. Yet I don't believe I've ever actually sold a guitar after giving an answer. I can understand if it's some one-off build that people aren't familiar with, but if it's your normal make and model, What's the deal? Never once have I seen someone carrying around a set of scales in a store in order to determine if that Tele, Strat, Les Paul... you name it... was actually worth the scratch because it was a few ounces off. If you can't handle the weight then play keys. Rant over.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Norrin Radd 1966

Norrin Radd 1966 Supporting Member

3. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I'm with you OP. It's not something I've ever asked or been concerned about.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

5. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

Why not just put the weight in the ad?
    That way you won't get so upset.

6. mschafft

mschafft Member

I carry around a scale.

7. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

You’re wrong about this. Go on Amazon, get a $12 digital scale and adapt to the modern world of guitar selling on the internet.

8. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

I've sold to people who have asked and I have bought guitars after asking. Maybe your attitude towards the question came through in your response. If a seller goes squirrelly when asked basic information before dropping a few thou… it's kind of a red flag. It's a buyer's market. I don't need to deal with people that are above providing basic information about the goods they are selling. These people often conveniently neglect to disclose issues and are a pain to deal with when things don't go as planned or don't arrive as described. Not all, of course. If I get attitude when asking about something as basic as weight, I will expect attitude every step of the way.

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

Weight is important to me ever since I herniated a disk.

10. Josey

Josey Supporting Member

I refuse! This is where I draw the line! Never again will I respond to such nonsense! Time to return this musical generation back to the meat eating, beer drinking, guitar slaying, non F*%$ giving rebels that we're meant to be!

And while I'm at it... screw your shimmery reverb and low stage volume! I'm going back to playing full stacks and plugging straight in!

11. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Member

I know right? They should just give you their money for your guitar sight unseen with zero knowledge of the actual instrument whatsoever. Because it's a guitar and those are hard to find.

12. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

This. Bad back and shoulders for me. I have 3 Teles. Love them all, but one is much heavier than the other 2 and, of those, one is super lightweight. If I’m hurting the night of a gig, I know which guitar is staying home.

13. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    In a store you can pick one up and feel if it's the right weight for you. Can't do that over an internet.

And keyboards are heavy. You shoulda said flute or clarinet or triangle or something...

14. Bossanova

See, now I like you :beer

15. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

When it shows up and I find out it’s a 13 lb. Stratocaster can I send it back? What? No returns? Ok cool.

16. Bossanova

How hard is this, seriously?
    1. Google/amazon “kitchen” or “postal” scale.
    [​IMG]

2. Put your guitar on it and snap a photo
    [​IMG]

Done.

17. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Me as well, and obviously many others as well.
    Weight may not mean doodly-squat to you when you are healthy, but back in the 1970's, guitars which were heavy were thought to have the best tone. That went the way of the world in the '80's, after players of all types of guitars started experiencing back, shoulder, knee, leg pain and other ailments.

Now that most players are well aware of weighty guitars, they ask this question and rightly so. Would you buy a guitar, not worrying about the weight, until it arrived and weighed 11+ pounds?! Most players would return it at that point, unless they are young and healthy, or preferred weighty guitars.

The last thing I sold on Ebay, many years ago, was a Les Paul Supreme which came with a tag from the store, stating the guitar weighed 8 lbs., 1 ounce. The "person", and BOY!, do I use that term loosely, returned it, because it was one ounce too heavy. After that I started selling or trading guitars in and not worrying about the price as much.

Weight may not be of much interest to you now, but when you get older, if you are still playing at that point, I guarantee you that weight will become a significant factor when you pick up a guitar.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  18. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I've asked it before each of the 50 or so guitars I've bought on TGP. Yup, I've had two spinal fusions. Nice for you that it's not an issue for you.

19. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Silver Supporting Member

I would never buy another guitar online without knowing the weight.

20. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

I care about weight to a point. I get curious about a guitar I'm gonna buy, but I don't care about exact weights. A ballpark weight is fine for me, like "Oh yeah, this guitars about 10 pounds" but my bad shoulder makes heavier guitars a chore to gig with

Brooks, David Robrecht and misterg71 like this.