• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

How much does looks affect your buying decision?

YETI

I am sick.... I like 'em all . metal,hand painted,screen printed,sprayed, all of it !

gregb

More than I would like to admit, but not enough to influence me to buy without listening.

afterburner

Silver Supporting Member
sound trumps everything else. I wouldn't buy a pedal based solely on looks. I'd go broke with all the beautiful ones out there!

only thing i like is that different colours and logos etc help me quickly differentiate between the pedals when I'm playing live.

Waxhead

if you can't sound good - look good :banana
why be concerned with substance when you can be a wanker :AOK

enocaster

if you can't sound good - look good :banana
why be concerned with substance when you can be a wanker :AOK
Every time this subject is raised, this flawed argument is posed. It's not an either/or thing. It could also be argued that a pedal designer that puts thought and care into the physical appearance will do the same with the circuit design.

fromdecay

looks catch my eye, make me research a pedal, if its the sound I'm after as well then I buy it
also, while looks are secondary, if I'm going to be spending premium dollar for a pedal, I want it to at least look decent

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
Looks of a pedal are not really important to me. For amps and guitars looks are more important to me. Ideally I want it all, looks, tone, functionality, etc...

eclipseall

I find that when I cant decide between two pedals because I like how they sound just the same, I go for the one that I like better.

There are certain pedals that no matter how good they sound, I cant consider them because they look plain horrid, like the Visual Sound line (IMO). So looks do matter. I hate having a messy board with all these different shaped pedals that are imporsible o fit together because of all different sizes and jack placements. I dont wanna end up with a board full of cables hangging out everywere, a nightmare to power up, and more colorful than a Skittles bag. So when I want a sound ina pedal, I only consider the ones that I know will fit within my existing rig nicely, shape and color. I hate round pedals and anything pointy (VisualSound again). I like the way the Landmine sounds, but I like a nice tight board, so I would rather go for something like the MXR DoubleShot because I like how it sounds just the same and I like the shape better. Ill take a Keely anyday over the boat shapped VisualSound Compressor. I dont want anything pink or anything that has graphics like some pedals that have legs with soxs painted on them, i dont care if it sounds incredible.

Looks do matter because they (pedals) need to fit physically as in the way it looks and is shapped and the way it sounds. One is not more importatnt than the other for me. Its all about the whole picture.

BDR1

I wish the hand painted pedals were offered in silk screened or unpainted so I could save that extra $100+ and buy something else. One builder does it.

And the Klon is about as plain as you can get but I still want one.

JeffOlson

Remember the Saturday Night Live skit with Billy Crystal as Riccardo Montaban (sp.)? "It's not how you feel, it's how you look that counts."

Waxhead

Every time this subject is raised, this flawed argument is posed. It's not an either/or thing. It could also be argued that a pedal designer that puts thought and care into the physical appearance will do the same with the circuit design.
it wasn't an argument - just a wish list.
guitar pedals are nothin but a fashion accessory.
during every gig all the punters in the audience are saying to eachother is,
"jeeez he sounds like poo but don't his pedals look nice" :AOK

StompBoxBlues

More than I would like to admit, but not enough to influence me to buy without listening.
Same here. More than I really know actually, but again, I check out as much as I can the sounds, features (which is part of the "look" too), and try it out if I can.

tonnu

for me looks DO matter.

apart from aesthetic appeal--as pedals are after all our prized collections (no matter that they also need to function well as well)--i feel that the 'looks' of the pedal really do communicate a certain philosophy behind the pedals.

say, the aesthetics of freakshow fx, dr. scientist, devi ever, etc. versus the likes of molloon, h&k, or the mxr lines do communicate very divergent approaches to pedal building and the audience. other boutique builders, the likes of skreddy, bjfe, D*A*M etc. or even more handbuilt ones like monsterpiece, diceworks, etc. also communicate a much more intimate appeal.

so my answer is YES, VERY MUCH SO.

Trending Topics