How much does NO COA hurt value?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sparky1358, Feb 27, 2008.

1. sparky1358

sparky1358 Member

I have come across a Fender custom shop model for sale locally that checks out as such via markings on guitar and upon taking it apart but it has no COA.

How much of a deduction is it not having one??....I am thinking not only for this purchase but for resale value as well.

ANy help would be great

2. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

It shouldn't hurt THAT much in resale, but it will a little because some people need that piece of paper. I would rather have a killer guitar with no Cert than a turd with one. Good luck!

3. coreybox

coreybox Member

It depends on who is buying.

I could care less, and if I liked the guitar it wouldn't bother me at all.

Others might feel differently though, so resale might be a consideration.

But since it is local you can play before you buy.....

4. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

If you're buying to to KEEP and PLAY....zero.

If you ever go to sell it, the missing COA could rear its ugly head.

You also "might" be able to contact Fender...and receive a duplicate COA..if even for a fee. They would have to be able to verify everything, but this might be an option.

5. billstets

billstets Member

I would contact Fender. I don't know how Fender deals with it, but Gibson sent me the COA for my LP no problem. I got it at GC, but it was missing the COA. I just emailed Gibson with the serial number.

6. m@2

m@2 Member

although it's not a big deal to me, it does seem to have an impact on price generally. I think depending on the CS guitar (especially if it's MB) i think it could move the price several hundred dollars. that has been my experience in both buying and selling at least (my experience is with Fender CS btw, not sure about Gibson/other brands)

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Fender will not issue another COA. There is only the one issued with the guitar. A missing COA definately hurts resale big time because it is the proof of authenticity of the guitar in question. Usually it can be 25%-30% deduction from value.
    If on the other hand if you are gonna buy it as a player, and the price is what you consider fair, then buy it and play it. But if you have no proof that it is what it is, then it may as well be a parts-o-caster so don't worry about resale just play it and enjoy.
    Best Regards!

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Egg-zactly! My incredibly superb, good-as-any-real-vintage-60s Tele I've seen closet Classic 63 came used (1 yr old) with no COA, but in great condition w/ all case candy etc. I didn't hesitate a second... if the guitar is that/this good, the COA is almost irrelevant because as in this case, there is so little chance I'll let it go in any foreseeable time frame it's not an issue.

cheers,
    jon