How much for a mint G&L Broadcaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Jan 27, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm thinking about buying a G&L Broadcaster. This was the original ASAT. <900 of them were made. Guitar is mint with paperwork and original case. All original in guitar. Thoughts?

2. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

The 2008 Vintage Guitar Price Guide shows $1900 to $2500.

There's one on eBay now for $1899 BUY IT NOW.

Previous auctions over the past 30 days ended in the $1500 to $2000 range.

If it is truly mint - as in "absolutely unplayed, as new" - then it would command a premium over an excellent condition example.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it says "broadcaster" on the guitar? that should make it more valuable, as fender put the legal kibosh on g&l rather quickly when they came out. same with any g&ls that have "leo fender" written on them anywhere.

(now that fender owns gretch, will there finally be an uncontested fender "broadcaster" guitar?)

4. ewheel

ewheel Member

If it's mint, I'd say $2500 would be a fair price. The G&L's made while Leo was still alive are all going up in value. Besides that, the Broadcaster is a fantastic guitar.

5. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

869 Broadcasters were made. I own one myself (as well as one of the first ASATs which is the same exact guitar with a different decal).
    Each Broadcaster was signed by Leo on a dated tag in the neck pocket.

If it is indeed mint and has the original case and all the case candy (ad slicks, COA, inspection hang tag, manual) it could go in the $2,400 to $2,500 range. A maple board version might go for more as few were made.

Be careful though, there are more and more counterfeits showing up out there. It is highly recommended that you pull the neck to make sure the signed tag is there and get the body and neck dates. You can also contact Dale Hyatt who has the original G&L log books for verification.

[​IMG]

6. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Neither Fender nor Gretsch stopped G&L from making the Broadcaster (although, as you say, Fender did stop G&L from producing Leo Fender signature guitars). Although apparently Leo and George Fullerton did not know it themselves (they did fully expect to get complaints) at the time G&L started making the guitar, neither Fender nor Gretsch held the trademark rights to the Broadcaster name. It just became too impractible for Leo to inspect and sign each and every guitar.