How much for an Eric Johnson Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by electronpirate, Aug 4, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

What do these normally go for?

And are they worth that price?

RonE

2. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

they go for around 1600 new, and if they are worth it is up to you. They get ALOT of praise but not enough, the 2nd one i played was my favorite new production strat i have EVER played, yes it was that good IMO it felt better to me than alot of the cs's i have played and rivaled some of the pre cbs's but i let it get away :( but they are pretty consistant and the best thing short of a custom shop strat, but for the price i really think they are the best thing fender has put out since the cbs buy out

3. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

You can get one new from EM Shorts for $1450 shipped. They go for around $1200 used. Any more than that and you may as well get the new one. IMO

4. danlineberger

danlineberger Supporting Member

Just got a CAR EJ for $1249.99 shipped thru Ebay. Mint condition with un-opened case candy. I personaly would not pay over $1300 for a used one.

5. Doug

Doug Member

I just bought one brand new for $1,397 from GC. I played a couple at another local dealer, but GC had the one that grabbed me. They did a price match, took 4 hard-to-move items in on trade, and offered 12 months no interest financing. Add in the 30 day return policy, and it was a no-brainer. Although, I must tell you, she's not going anywhere! :dude

6. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Who did they price match at $1397?

7. Doug

Doug Member

Dave,

Check your email.

8. 83stratman

83stratman Member

First off I am an anti FMIC snob. In general, I usually don't like the tone or neck wood on post CBS Fenders, and I usually stick with my late '70s stuff. That said, I have played probably about 7 to 10 EJs. Although they were all slightly different, they were all KILLER and quite possibly among the best Strats I have ever played regardless of price. They sound, play and feel so good that this anti FMIC guy immediatly went out and bought a brand new one. I paid $1399 for it. Worth EVERY penny IMO...

9. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

Iwould also like to know who the price match was based on

10. stout-hearted

stout-hearted Member

I agree with many out there that with patience you can snatch one for $1300 or less. Have you played one? The sound is good to my ears, but the neck is not the most comfortable. In my recent search for a Strat I've been encouraged to consider Don Grosh Retro Classics and I honestly believe that for tone, sound and quality - the Grosh is the direction to go for a quality nitro finished guitar. Just check out the reviews at Harmony Central. You can snatch a Grosh in your price range easily and in fact one was listed here for $1100 in a cool retro peach color that looks real 50-ish.

Another nitro animal to consider is the Tonemonger that is listed by Rockin' Robin on GBase. They're asking $1499, but that's the "asking price." Those are monster special wound single coils and Dave Wintz is not going to build Alamo guitars any more. Even though RR says they don't have a trem arm for the guitar (go figure?) I imagine a call to Dave at Robin Guitars would find one in a drawer somewhere.

I have to say that I've been let down by all the high end Fenders I've played recently - even Custom Shop models. The independent makers are more detailed in their craft.

Keep playin'!

11. JDJ

JDJ Supporting Member

Yeah, it's worth the price. But some are better than others, so play as many as you can. They are all very consistent, but, in a given group, my experience is that one is usually outstanding above the others.

12. 58gasman

58gasman Member

Best production guitars Fender has ever done in my opinion. Need to play a bunch to find the one that fits your particular taste.

These guitars should really age nicely as they get played/broken in.

Craig

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I am lusting for one as well... may I also receive the information about the price match? Thanks.

14. killerburst

killerburst killerburstguitars.com Silver Supporting Member

How about just saying 40% off of list?

15. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

16. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

List Price: $2,328.56 / 2 = $1164.28 x 1.10 = $1280.70
    That's a damn sharp price!

List Price: $2,328.56 x .60 {40% off list} = $1397.13

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

GC's works better for the buyer because less 40% come off a higher number.

18. jlf2960

jlf2960 Member

Please correct me if I am wrong but according to the original formula List / 2 + (List * 10%) wouldn't GC's price come out to $1,397.14?

List Price $2,328.56 / 2 = $1164.28

List Price $2,328.56 x .10 = $232.86

$1164.28 + $232.86 = $1,397.14

19. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

20. Doug

Doug Member

The key to GC's price match policy is the price either needs to be advertised or GC has to be able to verify it. I got the match because another store in the Pittsburgh area is having a big sale from Aug 1 - 12. This particular store is always the lowest in the area anyway, so when they have a sale it's a big deal. I really like this shop, and wanted to buy from them. They had 2 in stock, but neither really did it for me. GC had a candy apple red one that was just it. Even with crusty strings, it was the best sounding of the 7 or so I have played. It must be from the first batch, because these strings had some heavy black gunk on them to the point of being practically unplayable. I don't think that builds up in a couple of months.

Does Fender have a minimum advertised price policy? I think they used to, and would threaten to pull the line if the dealer violated the policy (at least that's what another local dealer told me years ago). To get the match, you would probably have to find a dealer in your area that would verify the price by phone.

BTW, an excellent music store in my area is www.pnsmusic.com. ;)