1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

How much fret buzz is normal?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TJS-1-6-4-5, Oct 12, 2018 at 2:23 AM.

1. TJS-1-6-4-5

TJS-1-6-4-5 Member

I recently purchased a new Pacifica 611, and it is a great guitar. I am mostly an acoustic player and for the first time really getting into electric. I had the guitar set up by a well known and respected luthier in the area, however, I have been playing it for a while and I've noticed that the Low E string buzzes a lot, it is very apparent. I don't think I can hear it through the amp, but can hear it coming from the guitar. This is happening from a lesser extent on the A string.

I can't seem to find a good answer on this question. Is buzz normal? Is it found on most electrics? The Luthier said everything checked out fine and it's normal, but it seems like a lot. Perhaps it is because I am used to an acoustic, but I do find it a little distracting.

I have a 1986 (85?) Ibanez Roadstar 2 and it doesn't have nearly as much buzz, however the action seems a little higher. Is it always a compromise with a low action?
    I would appreciate insight from experienced electric players,
    Thank so much

2. loki1982

loki1982 Member

How low is the action? My general starting point for the bass side strings is to use a 1.0 mm pick between the string and the fret wire at the 12th fret and provided the neck isn't too out of whack I adjust the saddle height from there. If I am really strumming hard I will experience some buzz, but I have to be banging on the strings pretty hard. Also string tension will be different from your acoustic as well so perhaps since you aren't noticing it through your amp, you may be perceiving that lower string tension as buzz.

3. rizla

rizla Member

You can pay anywhere from $100 to $12000 plus for normal fret buzz. Boutique fret buzz is the same as normal fret buzz but the price of admission starts at about $2500.

JWDubois likes this.
  4. TJS-1-6-4-5

TJS-1-6-4-5 Member

Haha! That was actually pretty funny. I fixed the title to make a little more sense.

rizla likes this.
  5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Do you have a fret rocker? See if there are any high points and maybe learn to do your own setups. No buzzing on any of mine but I also don't bash the guitar with my right hand.

6. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

As mentioned, a hard right hand attack can cause fret buzz.
    Depending on the angle the pick strikes the strings, fret buzz can also occur. A plucking motion rather than strumming across the strings.
    If the frethand depresses the string in the middle of the space between frets, rather than immediately behind the fret, buzz can occur.
    Lastly, the amount of relief (neck bow) can cause/allow the strings to buzz, especially if strumming vigorously.

How does the action compare to your acoustic?

7. Benz2112

Benz2112 Member

A good tech sets up a guitar to your preferences, not his. If you want little to no buzz, he should raise the bridge and or put more relief in the neck, until it sounds as you like. I go for a little more buzz on fender style guitars, and a little less on other guitars, just for the sound I'm going for.

8. 8len8

8len8 Member

As long as there’s still sustain I know the fret buzz is acceptable.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I dislike any fret buzz so I set up my guitars to eliminate it with myself in the drivers seat. But everybody plays guitars differently so the setup is more for the player than the guitar.