How much gain and fuzzyness does the screwdriver have?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by porsch8, Mar 18, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

I'm interested in the Skreddy Screwdriver.
    Looking for something that can get bluesy like clapton/cream to fuzzy jimi (foxy lady) to Zeppelin (whole lotta love) to maybe AC/DC crunch or Sabbath
    Can this pedal do it??

2. porsch8

porsch8 Member

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

Will not do convincing Sabbath or Fuzz Face (Foxy Lady) or Tone Bender fuzz sounds, but will do most of the classic overdrive sounds that were originally created by the player turning down the guitar's volume into a fuzz. Edge-of-breakup, sparkly-to-dirty touch-sensitivity, treble-boosted grittiness, amp-like crunch, etc. Should be fine for Clapton, cleaner Hendrix, a great deal of Page, even Gilmour's cleanish overdrive sounds.

Edit: it will get extremely fuzzy at high gain and low sharpness settings. But it doesn't sound quite like Foxy Lady even then.

4. sandman

sandman Member

If it does sort of a volume rolled off FuzzFace with volume still on 10 I'm sold...one of the controls is pre gain bass roll off? right? I love that sort of feature on the Tim.

5. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

Yeah, the "sharpness" knob controls the bass frequencies pre-distortion, so it does just what its label says. It can go from edgy treble boost to fat and fuzzy. This control FOLLOWS the mosfet input stage, which is a bit of a treble-booster; so the Screw Driver never gets into sludge territory. You'll still have a bit of articulation even after cranking the gain and lowering the sharpness.

And, yes; that was one of my design objectives: to get those incredible FuzzFace overdrive tones but without all the touchiness and clumsiness of fine-tuning the volume knob or worrying about accidentally nudging it and throwing off an intense rhythm groove, etc. The Screw Driver is touch (pick intensity) sensitive and is not designed to require the guitar's volume knob rolled back. Plus it stacks well, unlike a Fuzz Face. ;)

6. erksin

erksin Member

I've found all of this to be true in practice with my Screw Driver.

It is capable of a lot of different voicings and all of them are useful. I was a little worried that such a tweakable pedal would require a lot of fiddling if I wanted to get multiple sounds out of it, but the truth is once you dial in the trimmers to taste the rest is easy and intuitive. It's a really well thought out pedal in terms of maximum flexibility of the circuit without being finicky or hard to dial in.

It went up against some VERY tough competition for the final dirt spot on my board and in the end it really wasn't much of a horse race - the Screw Driver won by a mile.

7. sandman

sandman Member

damn... ;)