How much gain can a Vox actually get?

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Lets say a AC-15 or AC-30. Any sound clips out there of these things maxed out? Or how about some examples from the pros? Is a crunchy Brian May tone as far as a Vox can go gain wise? I am not talking about metal or anything like that.

hamfist

The two lead(ish) lines in this demo of an AC30HH are max gain.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/8yupagkcgk.mp3

The first lead line (at 0:28) is the EF86 channel maxed out. The second (at 0:56) is the TB channel maxed out. All lines played with Humbuckers. Just guitar straight into amp (delay was added in the DAW).
It's not what I call a smooth singing violin-like lead tone, but it's more gain than I thought the amp would have before I got it.

Teahead

Brian May's tones often feature more gain than a cranked AC30 can provide, he favours a Rangemaster Treble Booster that adds a significant db increase and shifts the eq to enhace the amp's natural crunch.

I have clips in my sig of an AC30tbx Normal and Top Boost channels cranked and also some with a Beano treble boost.

pickslide

Silver Supporting Member
Teahead - your tones of the AC30 with the booster and tele are just awesome. Thanks to both of you for the clips.

sqadan

My AC30CC2 gets pretty darn crunchy... almost to low watt marshall territory. I do find it gets kinda brittle though if you push it too far.

redtoploader

Humbuckers into a top boosted ac30 can get a good amount of gain...in fact, I could get dead on old school marshall type tones ala Beck Truth, Free type sounds, with no pedals. The top boost is a pretty cool tone stack.

Cant really do super hi-gain metal stuff though.

utterhack

My AC30CC2 gets pretty darn crunchy... almost to low watt marshall territory. I do find it gets kinda brittle though if you push it too far.
Are you using the "vintage" or "modern" smoothing setting? On "modern" it's a lot less brittle when cranked and yup can definitely cop old-school marshall tones.

one of my all time fave 'classic rock tones' is a dimed AC30.

while not exactly an AC30, this is from a hayseed 30 (same gain, etc.,) and a tele and this is the same w/ a lester. taken from rob's website, but my hayseed has pretty well the same amount of gain as an early AC30. the new CC amps have even more gain on tap, if need be.

now, that extra gain does start and change the character of the timbre somewhat.

re-animator

modern vox reissues have a lot more gain than i anticipated.... definitely gets into marshall territory... and the master volume is quite good.

with my tele i normally get into rory gallagher's "messin with the kid" sound without adding boosts.

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
I just got a Brian May 2x12 and this is without a doubt one of the best tones I've had. Just a guitar into the amp and playing with the volume knob it is chimey clean to destroying distortion.

I had no idea this thing would get this hot and still sound so defined and tonefull. Hit the boost and it just gets plain mean sounding.

I am playing in the low gain setting and dimed and the amp just oozes great tone. This amp will do high gain/metal in the high setting and it still is very articulate.

I'm on one of my best honeymoons yet. Clips coming

Weasel

I have a 60's something AC-30 that I use with a Fulltone Fat Boost and it will rival a 50 watt Marshall any day.

Rev2S

µ¿ z3®ø™;3705566 said:
one of my all time fave 'classic rock tones' is a dimed AC30.

while not exactly an AC30, this is from a hayseed 30 (same gain, etc.,) and a tele and this is the same w/ a lester. taken from rob's website, but my hayseed has pretty well the same amount of gain as an early AC30. the new CC amps have even more gain on tap, if need be.

now, that extra gain does start and change the character of the timbre somewhat.
I hovered over the first link for the Hayseed 30 and it links to a pic of a Asian cross-dresser. :BITCH I am at work so it's good I didn't click on it.

skoora

I once A/B'd a VOX CC30H with a JCM800 2203 through the same marshall 4x12 and it easily held it's own for hard rock playing. Especially when you got the master up there. I loved it.

Rev2S

I had a Vox AC15 for a month then sent it back. It sounded awesome with it cranked and I kick myself for returning it.

Trending Topics