How much have you modded your Road Worn Strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stratburst70, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

After an ill-advised attempt to reverse some fret sprout, I now have to replace the neck on my 50's Road Worn Strat. The truss rod is inoperative and there's some neck twist. :bonk:jo

Since this guitar is now becoming a partscaster, I'm wondering what other mods you RW owners have done to your guitars. Swapping out the pickups seems a popular move (the previous owner had dropped in some aftermarket pickups), and Gilmourish.com's Bjørn Riis recommends swapping out the whammy system.

What have other owners done to their Road Worns? Thanks in advance. :)

2. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

All I did to mine was dress the frets, replace the pickups, and replace the potmetal tremblock with a Callaham cold rolled steel one. Now its one of the better Strats I've played in about 50 years in the game. Of course, they are hit/miss new so you have to run the racks to sort out the good one's. The exact same model one hanging next to the one I purchased was a total dog.

3. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

My one mod has been to replace the overwound Tex-Mex bridge pickup with a Tex-Mex neck pickup.

I love this guitar. I bought it at a pawn shop with the intention to flip it (they had it priced like a beat up regular MIM) but it's become my #1.

What happened to your neck that you have to replace it? Fixing fret sprout is just touching up the ends with a file, right?

4. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

^ It's when the tang of the fret "sprouts" up and out of the fretboard, usually due to environmental factors. But yes, they can extrude from the sides as well for the same reason.

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

which pickups?

6. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Not a Strat, but my RW Tele, got a fret dress, Callahan Compensated 3 Barrel Saddles, and Lindy Fralin Un-Bucker, and Fralin Blues, and a 5 way Tonestyler Switch. It's now a player.

7. footiee

footiee Member

:eek: what did you do to the fret sprout that you have to replace the neck??

8. RG955TT

RG955TT Member

Pickups and nicer pickguard (David Allen Dovers) set up and that's it. Killer guitar. I have one of the later ones with less wear and beatings, I also polished it up a bit so it isn't just dull and flat white.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Don Mare "Josie/Vaughn" set...I wanted it to sound as close as possible to my old '64 Strat so I gave Don the pickup's specs and he wound a set that tonally came very close. And he decided to keep them in his line up.

10. monty

monty Member

Aside from a fret dressing, nothing but am tempted to change out the tram to something a bit more stable.

11. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Appallingly stupid: I tried wrapping the neck with a damp towel in order to make the wood expand to cover the exposed frets. To say it backfired is an understatement; the strings are 3 inches off the fretboard and slowly tightening the truss rod over a 48 hour period had no effect. I can also see a twist when I sight down the neck, using the strings as a guide.

12. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I put a bone nut, callaham steel block, tortoise pickguard and eric johnson pickups.

It's an olympic white one.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I went with a Callaham trem block and it made the stock pickups sound poor to me. I replaced the pickups with Fender '69 pickups and was back in happy land. Raw Vintage trem springs, pinstriping, short Callaham trem arm and master volume and tone knobs rounded out the work.

Fantastic guitar...:)

14. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

A fret dressing and floated the trem on mine.

[​IMG]

15. HayekFan

HayekFan Member

Oh wow -- your jaw must have hit fhe floor when you saw it bowed like that!

My first thought is to wonder if it could be reversed by rewetting it and putting tension in the other direction. Probably a long shot that it would come back close enough to original form to be useable though.

Did it cure the fret sprout?

16. hotmod

hotmod Member

The only things mexican in mine are the neck and body woods as i bought them as separate units. I added all Fender parts ,that the custom shop strats traditionaly wear, to it and a set of Kinman traditional III pickups and i couldn't be happier.
    Sounds awesomely vintage and has no hum at all,feels like a vintage strat at a fraction of its cost.
    I love it!

[​IMG]

17. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Fret dress and setup. Best strat and tele I ever played.

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

I did a refinish and added new hardware.

Just kidding.