How much is a Marshall cab worth?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mitch236, Aug 12, 2008.

1. mitch236

mitch236 Member

2. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Not a huge demand for that cab, yet. Those are 65 watt speakers which are starting to get pricey. I have never paid much attention to those my tastes run in earlier years. Your best bet is check completed auctions. Now is probably a good time to buy that cab, one things are selling cheaper now then they were and two the 65 watt cabs might very well become more sought after. They sound good a warmer cab then any that follow.

3. mitch236

mitch236 Member

Interesting, maybe you could tell me more about the tone. I play a Budda SD45 pretty much in the high gain territory. I am looking for that hard rock/ blues sound. Sort of like Bonamassa at the blues end and VH at the gain end.

4. DaBreeze

DaBreeze Member

No offense, but whenever I see one of these ebay link posts, I ask myself "is this a possible buyer?" or " is this really the seller do some free advertising for his auction?"

5. oldrock

oldrock Member

I have a newer 1960A and like it alot. Good price to value in a half stack and blows away the lower end AVT and MG cabs marshall sells now.

6. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I am not the seller and actually paused before posting because I didn't want to entice another potential buyer into outbidding me.

Any experience with the tone?

7. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Well Joe B uses EVM12L which are often used with Dumbles and G65s are also often used with Dumbles. Not sure that has any connection though. The tone is warm Greenback not what I would choose for either Joe B or VH. I have heard EVM12Ls used for VH the player named Estrada used them and he sounded darn good and Joe B uses them, probably a better choice than G65s. You can put two EVM12L in the top two holes of a flat front 4x12 cab leave the bottom two holes open that is exactly what Estrada used and get a 400 watt cab that sounds huge. I have a cab set up like that for my SLO clone.

8. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Looks to be late 70's, probably worth around $650-$850.

9. mitch236

mitch236 Member

10. mitch236

mitch236 Member

I don't understand why people bid so early. It's already at $760 and still has over 4 days to run. Why doesn't everyone wait till the last hour to play their hand? So if this cab is worth $850 max and the sale went for 760 plus shipping, the winner will end up paying about $900 total.

11. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I've heard people say this quite often and don't really get it. People bid early to win the auction. If 20 people are watching the auction, 15 of them are going to know what it's worth and have the same price range in mind. If you want the cab in that price range or lower you bid early so that you're the one who gets the bargain. Otherwise, you're sitting on the sidelines late in the auction wishing it was you who got in early at a good price. Call me the jerk who always bids early, but to each his own. (FWIW, I'm not in the market for this cab, just using it as an example).