• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

How much is a "No Name" acoustic worth-part II

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
We're visiting our daughter in Medicine Hat, Alberta and stopped by JBC guitars. Chris was setting up one of his D18 copies for a customer and had another partly built so I got to both see the process and play the end result. He's using torrified spruce tops that are from a supplier Martin uses, and hand cuts and shapes his braces. Not sure about the sets for the backs and sides-he used a one piece mahogany back on the finished guitar... The fingerboard is ebony, with just a little figuring (which I really like) and the headstock veneer is ebony with his initials inlaid.

I was really impressed with the voice of the guitar-it sounded like a really good D18 that had aged for a decade or two-resonant, bright on the top end, and REALLY authoritative bass! The neck was a medium D, well cut and easy to play. I finger picked a few things, hit some heavy chords, dropped D and played some Gordon Lightfoot. It was happy in any capacity.

So, for a handmade in Canada guitar, fairly plain in finish but really good in mechanics and sound? How about $1750 Can, or about $1400 USD?

DanR

A year ago I received a guitar that was hand built in a small shop in Vancouver, BC. Halcyon is the brand name, The Halcyon guitars are bling free and minimally satin varnish finished. I got mine for about $1500 USD including various wood upgrades, a case and shipping. My Halcyon feels and sounds great. Re-sale value may be a downside but $1500 for a handmade guitar is quite the upside.

Bluedano1

So the back is one single continuous piece of mahogany? No middle seam?
( not split into two halves?)

Last edited:

Bluedano1

Most unusual. It's generally accepted that a bookmatched two-piece back is structurally more stable, as are two-piece tops.
That's what I was thinking too ( not that I really know anything about guitar construction, just try to stay educated/read) , but Interested to hear from OP, may have meant to say it was solid/bookmatched, but divided. But maybe it is one piece...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom