How much is my 1971 Strat worth?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Play by Tone, Aug 21, 2014.

1. tamader74

tamader74 Member

Very nice looking Strat.,...But with the original electronics gone,...along with them went ANY possible 'Collector' Value. These have really NEVER went as far South in price as most believe in straight out Collector grade,...

...and of course yours IS worth more than most here would believe. Jonny Hotnuts has this guitar pretty pegged in value, a refret does NOT mean a devaluation in every situation,...but the biggest loss here is the pups, they are the real reason the early '74 Strat.'s on back have such a following, and the Staggered pole pups were always desirable. But as long as there was no carving on the body,...you have a great set of Bones there, enjoy. Tom

2. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

You asked. As you can see, nobody that posted thought it was worth more than 2k- at most 3k but that's a stretch.

I think you'll find that these things are worth what a buyer is willing to pay.
    You can list a guitar for whatever you want (11K) but if nobody buys it then it's not worth 11k. Nobody in their right mind would pay 11k for a 71 strat unless it was a custom color and mint condition- even then....

A 71 strat is not a premium Fender vintage year. If you look through the sold listings on ebay you can get an idea. There were a few necks that recently sold- most around 900, one at 450 and one at 1450. Found a couple of bodies but they were from 72 - I think one got 700 or so.

Your neck has been re-fretted and also had a compound radius done to it. It may be a good neck but probably worth nothing to a collector.

I see you have it listed so good luck with the sale.

3. AXEL276

AXEL276 Member

About 10 years ago I took my '70 strat to Sam Ash for a trade in. I had paid $200 for it back in '74. I was young back then and routed the body, put a humbucker in the bridge. Sold the original pickup for $25 (back then). Everything else was original. I wanted a new Gibson 335. After about 2 hours of going over the instrument, the store manager took me into the show room, took a new 335 off the wall, put it in it's case and out the door I went.
    A couple of years later I traded the 335 for a PRS Custom 22 which I still have.
    Not to shabby for a $200 investment.
    Side note; I like 335's but not the one I had. I never liked that '70 strat although I wish I didn't mod it.

4. b_rogers

b_rogers Member

$3000-3500. Id pay that if it was a special one.

5. dougb415

dougb415 Silver Supporting Member

Wow. Back in the day you couldn't give those Strats away. I remember one sitting in my hometown music store, a '68. It stayed there until an out of town band bought it in '74. If I remember right, the store was asking $350 for it. Pass.

I hope you get a good price for yours tho.

6. tamader74

tamader74 Member

Sorry zztomato,...I simply missed that the neck besides the refret, WHICH if done with the same exact size fretwire wouldn't have altered the value, and if any...very little (even a hardnosed Collector knows that a Vintage guitar has to be playable at the very least).

But having the neck radius changed at ALL will give this guitar a ZERO in the Vintage Collectable market,...now with ALL the changes that's been made,...I'm Sorry OP, but what you have IS a very Cool Partscaster that has some VERY sought after 'Bones'.

Now as far as the Value $$$ wise, you simply have a Cool piece, in a very POOR economy for something like yours,...leaving it at 'What a Buyer is willing to pay'. These stories here of what these in 'Collector grade condition' goes for is flat out NOT the reality though,...

...and you can take that from a experienced, OLD Collector (LOL) that has been there, and has done that for a couple of Decades,...not years BTW. But Collectors are a very funny bunch,...their source of Income don't seem to matter,...

...to them, it's the HUNT...to have the very BEST specimen available, similar to a Wine Collector, (in which case most of them I know have a Collection of that also)...most cannot play very well, IF at all...But they can see/tell a 'Bogus' Instrument from a 1000 yards away,...and you can take that to the Bank (the one that seems to hold all their money :D...LOL). Tom

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

FWIW, I was never curious as to collectors value on this, I understand how a collectors mind works :)

8. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

I'd put this between 2.5k and 3k. This is a true players grade that someone would love to have (since the mods seem to be done well). However, like mentioned above, there isn't much vintage collectability. that being said, I love this guitar.

9. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I have an all original '73 hardtail Strat. That makes it a 3 bolt neck, not as desirable as your 4 bolt, but it is all original and in good shape.

I "fished it out there" last year at $2500 - I got not one call at that price. Still available too (GRIN).

I mention this for comparison only, to help 'ballpark' your's.

Thanks, Dana O.

10. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I would have said 3K. I think Elderly had a similar hardtail version with just about the same amount of alterations or upgrades. About the same condition too (or seemed that way, at least). I think they got $3K. This was 12-18 months ago.

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

With that much mods definitely not more than $1700. If it was maple, maybe a few hundred more. If it was late 60's, much more.

Even though you think a Callaham block is upgrade, it's a downgrade on something like this. Much better to have it original. It's just pieces-parts when you start doing that.

12. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Well, it sold quick, and for more than all have said. Interesting perspectives though!

13. small axe

small axe Member

the way it is 1500-2000, all legit 4k and up....nice guitar any how

14. axe4me

axe4me Member

15. icr

icr Member

So how much was it worth?? 1,054 viewers of this thread want to know.

16. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Two offers of $3500 and $3750

17. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

I hope you didn't rip somebody off. I see stock early 70's on CL for not selling for much more, and they sit.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Good for you :dude

Your guitar is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. TGP is gonna low ball you.

To me it's worth $2500.

$3k if I really wanted that guitar and I might :dunno pay that if it had a skinny neck. To me it has way more mojo then a Custom Shop Strat and I dig the upgrades. I might have changed the pickups tho but pickups aren't a deal breaker.

Sounds like you got more so cool :dude

19. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

That's rather rude to say. But thanks for your input :)

The new owner is excited to receive it just the way it is, I made sure of that. I'm having it set up to his specs before it leaves.

20. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

You nailed it on the head. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and I let them make me offers. I want the buyer to be excited about their purchase, and it seems they are :)