How much is my '94 Patrick Eggle Berlin Stage worth?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarnoize, Feb 15, 2009.

1. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

I can't seem to get much of an idea what my '94 Eggle is worth these days. It has a solid Mahogany body, a set Mahogany neck with Rosewood fretboard, Wilkinson Trem, Sperzel locking tuners and I replaced the pickups with a Seymour Duncan SH-2 in the neck and SH-14 in the bridge.

I took it in for a setup at Sydney Guitar Setups and had it Plek'd and the guy said that the build quality was better than a PRS but nobody has heard of them over here in Aus (I bought it in the UK).

So anyone know what it might be worth these days? It does have a slight battle scar near the strap button on the bottom where I dropped it.

Here are a couple of pics of the guitar:

http://flickr.com/photos/soapcreative/2837080731/
    http://flickr.com/photos/soapcreative/2837914656/

2. oscar100

oscar100 Supporting Member

not that much compared to a PRS

they were good guitars

i had one way back but the brand never took off really:messedup

3. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

That's a shame I was thinking of selling to help fund my G.A.S.

4. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Your not going to like this, but around £300 uk
    Keep it ,its a lot better than that.

5. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Keep it. It looks like a great guitar. You don't want to sell it for small change and then go on the Gibson/PRS/boutique merrygoround and find out after blowing thousands of dollars that the old Eggle was a smoking guitar afterall.

6. jrw32

jrw32 Member

Cool guitar, keep it! I love solid mahogany guitars!

7. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

Well if that is all it is worth then yes I will keep it, I paid 700 quid for it in '94 just as Eggle were going bust the first time and thought it was a bargain, to be honest it probably wasn't in the circumstances but aside from the tuning stability problems I have the guitar does sound fantastic, especially with the upgraded pickups.

Do you think I need to replace the nut, I just can't get it to stay in tune even after many professional setups?

8. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Dose it have the convertible version of the VS100?

9. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

I don't think so I think it is the standard VS100?

10. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

With a VS100 and sperzels I'm amazed it wont stay in tune . Someone needs to look at the nut ,they where a plastic called "wilkaloyed " and generally stayed in tune very well. Theconvertable however needs setting up every time you look at it.

11. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

hmm maybe it is the convertible then? When I used it for band rehearsals I would have to tune it after every song, so frustrating.

12. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Dose it have the locking mechanism that converts it to a hard tail when you let go of the bar?

13. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

Oh no it doesn't, it definitely isn't a convertible then! I will get someone to look at the nut, I'm happy to replace it if it means getting some stability. I also considered getting a Tremelo-no to convert it to a hard tail.

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Don't get a tremol no or its other name a "Friction yes." and before the T'NO mafia start I know how to set it up I'm a full time tech ,It's just you can't get friction free hinges with absolutely no slop .get your nut fixed and look at your stringing up method to make sure your not getting any overlap on the windings.

15. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I owned a beautiful Berlin Pro for about 10 years and visited the factory in Birmingham when I travelled to the UK. They were a small company and treated me very well. It had the Wilkinson convertible bridge that locked when you dropped the trem bar. It was tricky to set up but a wonderful idea.

The Berlin was obviously Eggle's take on the PRS custom/standard and in the UK market it was a lot less money than an imported PRS at the time. You rarely see them in the US, I guess because you could buy a PRS for similar money once you included all the import costs. I liked my Berlin Pro although I never got on too well with the neck profile (which I believ e was modeled on an old SG).

If you want to sell it your best bet is to make it available to international buyers since Eggle is a lot better known outside the US. There are people that collect them in the UK, for example.

16. Mediastarguest

Mediastarguest Member

If you´ve still got that Berlin I´d say it´s worth between 600 -800 pounds/euros. Looks in great nick from the photos. I have a similarly finished `94 Berlin standard which is apparently American mahogany which is being refretted by a master luthier who said to sell for less than 600 euros would be a mistake, soley based on the tonewood used and the sounds and play of the guitar.