How much is this worth? 1991 Les Paul Junior...MINT

G

GuitaristZ

My friend has a 1991 Les Paul Junior in Burgundy in mint condition...he is wondering if he should restring it with new strings or whether or not this is danger (i.e. truss rod problems because of it sitting in storage for a while).

Is this a good guitar to keep as an investment?

How much would it be worth currently in todays market?

Custom50

agreed, I think 800 is definitely the most you could get for it. They seem to go for 650-700 on average, occasionally as low as 500 is the seller is hard up, plus, burgundy isn't generally the most desirable finish. Most people look for tobacco burst or TV it seems to me.

G

GuitaristZ

ah ok I see...so, would it be a good idea to put some new strings on it?

it was strung up with some pretty old strings that are like black and oxidized heavily and were not strung to tune, and its been sitting like that for a while,

so is it safe to put some new strings on? or should there be preparatory work done first? do you think the truss rod has seized up or anything?

scottlr

I wouldn't think twice about restringing pretty much any guitar. It's not like the strings are a permanent part of the hardware. I also don't see why the truss rod would be seized up, unless you have some other evidence that it has. And if you put the same gauge strings on it, you be good anyway.

Now, where's the pics?

G

GuitaristZ

bump...just want to be absolute sure this is safe first :D

anybody else want to confirm that its ok to string this baby up and crank it out of my marshall halfstack :D

StJimmy

Why do you think it wouldn't it be safe to restring it? If you're worried about all of the tension coming off after being on for years and you don't want to take a chance, just change the strings one at a time. That way, the tension always stays on.

Personally, I'd polish up the frets too, if it hasn't been played in a decade. It'll be a smoother feel and sound better once you get rid of any oxidation there might be.

supar6

Silver Supporting Member
It's just a lot of wood and a little metal brother. :)

If you want to be safe - just remove the high E first and replace with a new high E string. Then proceed to the next. This would pretty much ensure that any paranoia about string tention would be moot.

Trending Topics