How much is TOO much for a Capo.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by theonemanband, Dec 8, 2016.

1. theonemanband

theonemanband Member

I'm a little confused. A capo is a necessary accessory for players who (like me) want to play in various keys using open, as well as barre chords and also who (also like me, following health issues) need to change song keys without re-learning a whole set list.
    That being said, I was amazed to read a post on "another" forum of someone who bought a "G7th. Heritage" capo; http://www.g7th.com/heritage1.aspx
    I found these vary in price from £129 to over £200 GBP ($163 - $260).........average £150GBP for a CAPO!?!?!?!
    Here's my confusion........ buyers claimed the "sound" was much better, but as a capo simply compresses the strings on the fingerboard and the note is made from the fret, surely the make of capo makes no difference to the "sound" whatsoever.
    As I see it, as long as a capo works without pulling the guitar out of tune and compresses the strings without causing fret buzz, then it's doing its job. I use a D'Addario NS Pro that I would recommend to anyone...... light, precise and at a realistic price point.
    I KNOW it's none of my business how people spend their cash and this is NOT a criticism of that; I just feel that $200 for a capo is just ridiculous and totally over the top!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Capos can sound different. Heavier capos add mass, which can alter sustain and resonance.

With that said, Shubb capos are reasonably priced, work great, and sound good.

3. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I was gonna say, whatever a Shubb costs, add a dollar to that and you've paid too much for a capo. :)

4. tulk1

tulk1 Member

So ... $76, then? .......... :p
    http://www.shubb.com/finetune/

Don A likes this.
  5. RCM78

RCM78 Member

I have three capo's. An original G7th Performance that I use for 6 string acoustic, a performance 2 that I use for electric, and a Kyser 12 string that I use for 12 string acoustic. They all work great and sound fine. That G7th Heritage is too expensive for me to consider. Also I like being able to move the capo with no issues...

6. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I thought this thread was going to be about how high up the neck a capo becomes ridiculous sounding.

7. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

I have one, the standard models are about $30 in the states, I think I paid around 20 a few years back.
    I like it, but I also use a shubb.

8. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

For some folks, tone is in the wallet.

slybird, Edmond, Hallogallo and 3 others like this.
  10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I prefer the pre-CBS capos.....you just can't beat the sound of old wood.....

11. (Something)

(Something) Supporting Member

12. p19978

p19978 Member

But which capo will give me haunting mids?

wire-n-wood likes this.
  13. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I have one for my acoustics, they are seriously the best capo made. If your guitar is intonated and plays in tune those capos will not change that. You can't seem to over tighten them, you can't seem to put them in the wrong place. My Elliott is one of just a few accessories that I have that if lost or stolen, I would replace in a heartbeat.

Just looked at the one you linked to, this is the one I own.

For my electrics though, I use a Shubb or a Dunlop Johnny Cash Capo.

A-Bone, Fred Shredstone and rusty like this.
  14. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have 5 or so, cehap elastic band style, a dunlop threaded one, a Planet Waves Light (great value) a Kyser and a Shubb, the shubb is the best of the bunch, but the Kyser is the easiest to use, although is a little finicky.

I really struggle with the idea that the Elliot is 7 times better than the Shubb, or that one could really hear a difference, but buy whatever sounds best to you in your budget.

15. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

If I cant use my shark capo, I'd rather not play.

[​IMG]

16. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have one of the McKinney made Tony Rice models on that page. Paid $50 for mine around 1990 which seemed like the $245* they are charging now.

Still performing beautifully.

*A chunk of the money goes to Tony who is in a bad way financially, arthritis preventing him playing very much.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Fred Shredstone likes this.
  17. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Come on, who needs 200 dollar capos? I like 15 cent capos:

[​IMG]

18. Fred Shredstone

Fred Shredstone Member

Yes, I totally agree, for serious acoustic players a high-end capo is totally worth it. I use a McKinney, very similar to the standard Elliot. You want a capo that is light and yet very rigid. stainless steel is the best material for the job. cheaper capos are typically brass or aluminum, both of which are softer and less rigid. heavy capos (e.g., brass) act as a damper on vibrations in the neck. light capos (e.g. - aluminum) deform too much under pressure, which means some strings will be pulled down harder than others, making the guitar out of tune. the downside of stainless steel is cost - very expensive material to work. I paid $150 for mine, and would gladly replace it at that cost if I lost it.

this is the one I use: http://willcuttguitars.com/accessories/elliott-capo-g16m-mckinney-elliott-1-11-16-guitar-capo

same capo used by Bluegrass great Tony Rice!

jmoose likes this.
  19. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

I think it's definitely something you have to try to really know the difference. I had some extra cash from a guitar sale and was really getting into flatpicking when I bought my McKinney-Elliott Capo. When you can go between that and a Shubb or any other over the counter capo you can here the difference.

Don't know if it would be as apparent on an electric guitar though, more so with an acoustic.

Fred Shredstone and A-Bone like this.
  20. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

That may well be true, but unless someone lets me borrow their Elliot, I am not sure I will ever test that out. :)

(Something), PedalFreak and A-Bone like this.